Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Incredible Performance Decrease - Please help!!!

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I helped Nima get acs-developer-support fixed (it had to do with the bad repository files I just fixed) and did some browsing around with supplied accounts.

I am logged in via ext-auth as mazloumi, with developer support on. The front page comes up in 3 seconds (lots of 200msec permission check), not 20, but it may be cached.

While going to site-wide administration to flush the cache, I found that that page took 18 seconds, almost all here:

18061 ms
dbqd.acs-admin.lib.service-parameters.services_select: select nsdb0

select package_id,
                          ap.package_key,
                          acs_object__name(package_id) as
                          instance_name,
                          apm_package_type__num_parameters(ap.package_key)
                          as parameter_count
                    from apm_packages ap,
                        apm_package_types
                    where ap.package_key =
                          apm_package_types.package_key
                    and package_type = 'apm_service'
                    and (
                            acs_permission__permission_p(package_id,
                          '872797', 'read') = 't'
                        or acs_permission__permission_p(package_id,
                          acs__magic_object_id('the_public'), 'read')
                          = 't'
                        )
                    and  (ap.package_key != 'acs-subsite' or (select
                          parent_id from site_nodes where object_id =
                          package_id) is null)
                    order by instance_name

After flushing the cache, I can still access the front page in 4 seconds.  Not great, but not awful.

I did some more random browsing.  Most pages take 2-3 seconds, and the only real reason is a bunch of permission checks like:

170 ms
dbqd.acs-tcl.tcl.acs-permissions-procs.permission::permission_p_not_cached.sele\
ct_permission_p:
0or1row nsdb0

select 1
            where 't' = acs_permission__permission_p('616213',
            '872797', 'portal_read_portal')

I browsed as both the admin user and a regular .LRN user.  I could not repro the 20-second load times.

Issues:
1) Can we fix all of these permission queries so that regular page loads aren't 3 seconds?
2) How can Nima use developer support while logged in as a regular user, in order to try and repro the 20-second problem with proper instrumentation available?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Answer to question 2:

1) Log in as a sitewide admin on one browser and go to /ds.
2) On another browser which is not sharing cookies, log in as a regular user and reproduce the problem.
3) refresh the screen on the first browser.  The long query will be sitting on the list; click on it to reveal the guilty database query.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I got rid of the permissions-checks in the service-parameters query above, since you only see this page if you're site-wide admin, anyway. This is in HEAD, though.
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
On the danger of repeating myself - PL/SQL or PGPL/SQL functions in where clauses are plain dangerous and do not scale at all.

If the result is known upon creation time - the result of acs__magic_object_id('the_public') is constant - then stuff its result into the view. Or for PG at least create the function as iscacheable.

As to the permissioning: Don suggests using a view instead of the acs_permission__permission_p.