Forum OpenACS Development: Web UI doing DDL considered harmful

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Jade, a web-based admin UI which directly adds and drop columns from tables?? Generally speaking, yuck!

An interactive UI like that means that nothing is repeatable, nothing is scriptable. My Dev, Staging, and Production data models may all end up slightly different and I won't even know it without specifically digging through the live schemas looking for discrepencies. Rolling out a new site update from Staging to Production will mean manual instructions - "Go here, type this, click on that" - interspersed with running the upgrade scripts. Sometimes you end up stuck with that sort of thing, but it's to be avoided, not preferred.

Now, if you instead want a web UI to collect and record specifications or other info with is then dumped to a file and used to drive an automatic script, that I could see! When it comes to DDL (stuff that changes your database schema), IMNSHO any web UI should, at most, help the human user define what needs to be done, never directly change stuff itself.

I have probably oversimplified and overstated the case, but that's definitely the gist of my experience.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I agree, but doesn't this happen with groups admin UI, and what is invisioned for CR/CMS? Nothing substitutes for a file which contains the datamodel, pl code, triggers, etc. so you can inspect them.