Forum OpenACS Q&A: Cant reply to postings in forums package

Hi,

another 2 problems with the forums package:

1. Users without admin permission can't *reply* to postings, although they can *create* a new message thread.

Even if I grant them the permission to moderate the forum, they can even edit or delete messages, but still not reply to a message.

What does that mean???

2. Messages are not mailed if a user subscribed to a forum, although new registrations are mailed if that parameter is set (which means that the mail mechanism works?).

Thanks for any hints
Christof

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Regarding #1 my advise is to not use the permissions links built in to forums but instead use the interface that is available from the sitemap (if you want to control permissions on forum instances OR on the individual forum level) or from example.com/admin/applications/permissions (if you want control just over the entire instance).

In order to avoid the behaviour you describe my guess is you'll want to grant "registered users" (or some other party) the standard "create" and "write" privileges on the forum or forum instance.

"forum_moderate" is not available from the general interfaces and "write" is not available from the forums specific interface so it's basically a total mess. But it is at least possible to work around it until someone hopefully gets around to fix it.

Collapse
Posted by Christof Spitz on
Ola, thanks a lot. Was a bit confused with the new interface (run 4.6.3 before) -- and also its probably not such a good thing to do things very late at night 😊

Still dont now #2, why forum does not send emails ...

Collapse
Posted by Shambhunath Borah on
I'm having this problem with the Windows version of OACS 5.1.5 from Project/Open. I.e. Registered Users can read posts and create new posts, but can't reply to them.

Main Site » Forums » Administration » Testing Forum Permissions
Under the specific forum's (called Testing Forum)permissions for Registered Users, Read and Create are checked.

If I go through "Main Site » Permissions » Permissions for Testing Forum" as I think is suggested above, I see that the inherited permissions are Read and create for everyone. Under the "Direct Permissions" below, if I check the forum_write box and click on "Grant Permission" I get to the Grant Permissions page. However selecting Registered Users and hitting OK throws me back to the previous page. But the Registered Users still can't reply to posts.

Restarting the three services: AOLServer, PostgresQL, and Cygwin doesn't help.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Try selecting the more general "write" instead of "forum_write". I believe some of the forum package code is now using the more standardized "write" (which AFAIK includes forum_write permissions).
Collapse
Posted by Shambhunath Borah on
Thanks. "Write" worked.