Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: SQL-Modelling Costs and Invoices

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Frank,

Sorry, no skype here. I think discussing these topics via forums may be more productive as there's that automatic creation of a knowledgebase and others can pipe in.

Currently I am building resources and experience for starting this project. Less than 2% of the collected resources and notes are online. I need to familiarize myself with openacs package development, sql-ledger programming style, and spreadsheet calculation models (equation dependency hierarchies etc.).  Currently, there is a project framework consisting of some forums[1] so as to not harass openacs.org forums with OT discussion, incidental notes and incomplete thought processes.  The plan is to use Jade's project management package for implementation, and arch for development.

At this point I see these technical hurdles, mainly gui related.

a. making ad_form work with multiple db rows and maybe tables
b. creating a thin-client to handle basic editing of user tables to quickly develop a set of integerated service packages

I have to justify the development internally by upgrading the ecommerce package and adding features.  There's already a consensus, I think, to breaking ecommerce into smaller service packages and upgrading the code. For example, ad_form isn't used in it. Search for ecommerce in the forums and you can see a collection of related ideas and works from the openacs community.

Okay, I'm rambling now..

cheers,

Torben
AIM/YM/openacs irc: tekbasse

1. http://bitscafe.com/pub2/forums

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Torben,

just checked the SQL-Ledger data model. Doesn't look vey different from the Project/Open model. But that's probably more an problem then a feature when trying to bring the two systems together:

- I definitely want to convert all major business objects to OpenACS objects: Invoice, project, customer, employee, vendor, department and warehouse.

- How to deal with duplicate objects? For example, P/O already knows about customers and invoices. OpenACS knows about users, addresses, translations and permissions. Which application should be used to maintain the information? Can triggers do the job to copy data between the tables and to maintain consistency?

I'm really not sure what to do: Incorporation (integrating the SQL-Ledger data model into OpenACS/Project/Open) or Integration (keeping applications separate and providing an export functionality from OpenACS/Project/Open to SQL-Ledger). Maybe we should honestly question if we are going to be able to port about half of the SL functionality to OpenACS (converting tables to OpenACS objects). In this case I would go for Incorporation and commit about one man-month of senior development time. Otherwise I would go for integration, which means using the Perl-GUI.

Are you available by phone? My mobile is: +34 609 953 751. Is there somebody else who would like to participate in one way or another? Malte?

Bests,
Frank

acc_trans    | table    | sql-ledger
ap            | table    | sql-ledger
ar            | table    | sql-ledger
assembly      | table    | sql-ledger
audittrail    | table    | sql-ledger
business      | table    | sql-ledger
chart        | table    | sql-ledger
customer      | table    | sql-ledger
customertax  | table    | sql-ledger
defaults      | table    | sql-ledger
department    | table    | sql-ledger
dpt_trans    | table    | sql-ledger
employee      | table    | sql-ledger
exchangerate  | table    | sql-ledger
gifi          | table    | sql-ledger
gl            | table    | sql-ledger
id            | sequence | sql-ledger
inventory    | table    | sql-ledger
invoice      | table    | sql-ledger
invoiceid    | sequence | sql-ledger
language      | table    | sql-ledger
makemodel    | table    | sql-ledger
oe            | table    | sql-ledger
orderitems    | table    | sql-ledger
orderitemsid  | sequence | sql-ledger
parts        | table    | sql-ledger
partscustomer | table    | sql-ledger
partsgroup    | table    | sql-ledger
partstax      | table    | sql-ledger
partsvendor  | table    | sql-ledger
pricegroup    | table    | sql-ledger
project      | table    | sql-ledger
shipto        | table    | sql-ledger
sic          | table    | sql-ledger
status        | table    | sql-ledger
tax          | table    | sql-ledger
translation  | table    | sql-ledger
vendor        | table    | sql-ledger
vendortax    | table    | sql-ledger
warehouse    | table    | sql-ledger
yearend      | table    | sql-ledger

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I just got SQL-Ledger installed this morning, fixed a bug in the Lexware import script, got the German DATEV-SK03 running on AOLserver and am happy :). As Project Open is not available for Postgres yet, obviously there is not much of integration effort happening from my side, but I'm curious about the results and would be willing to help out later this year if someone finds the funding for it.

For my personal use, I'm happy as it stands now.