departments needs to get their IIS web site back online fast and,
needless to say, their IT department has more urgent matters to deal
with. They need a reliable IIS host who can handle major traffic, and
they need one fast. Any recommendat
I don't know why the bboard truncated my post, but I was asking for a
recommendation for an IIS host
Collapse
Posted by John Lowry on
I have been incredibly impressed by my experiences at RackSpace (I actually use them for OpenACS, but I see they also have IIS). They handled the amihotornot site so I imagine that they can handle high traffic.
I've had a leased server at RackSpace for almost three years. Excellent support, awesome scalability, and they are profitable so you don't have to worry about them folding their tents and slinking into the sunset - a real concern with Exodus for one example.

Van

Collapse
Posted by John Lowry on
Just after I wrote my earlier recommendation, I came across a small problem with Rackspace. I discovered that they were charging us more for our particular server than they charged new customers for the same configuration. We're on a month-to-month contract.

The difference is only about $40/month, but I had a very unpleasant discussion with the sales rep before he finally agreed to lower the price. What worries me is that if Rackspace is starting to exploit their vendor lock-in (which I find a distasteful way to treat customers), what are they going to start doing next?