Forum OpenACS Development: Re: AOLserver et. al. RPMs available

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
I have rebuilt the rpms for RHEL4/CentOS 4. Rebuild was uneventful. I'm not real thrilled with daemontools, but such is life. The rebuild and install was simple enough to not even worry about using a depsolver like apt or yum. Apt and yum are convenient, yes, but necessary they are not.

OpenACS itself is not yet represented, and I'm pretty sure I know why. OpenACS per se needs to be available to be installed in multiple places as normally installed. A set of scripts to set up an OpenACS instance seeded from a prebuilt CVS repository or something similar could be done; I think I kindof like that approach. Ideas?

Other than daemontools, I am willing to put up a yum repository on an apache HTTP server. Why not AOLserver? AOLserver cannot serve an RPM with a '+' in the filename; so I have an apache instance for all my yum needs, and have a pretty much centralized setup up here that is more or less automated. Now, I know there is no rpm here with a +, but that's irrelevant from my point of view for my purposes.

As to daemontools, its license does not allow me to distribute modified compiled binaries for RHEL4/CentOS 4 (or Fedora Core 3, for that matter). Specifically, RHEL4, and its rebuilt work-alikes like CentOS4, incorporates SELinux. SELinux will change the way the DJB programs operate, by design; thus: "All installations must work the same way; any variation is a bug. If there's something about a system (compiler, libraries, kernel, hardware, whatever) that changes the behavior of my package, then that platform is not supported, and you are not permitted to distribute binaries for it." (Quoted from DJB's website). This is why I don't use daemontools, period. I understand his reasons, but vehemently disagree with his assertion that all installations MUST operate the same way. It's his software, so he has that right, and if I disagree I don't have to use it. So I don't use it. And the need for directories directly off the root filesystem is ludicrous, IMO.

And even then I'd have to remove it after July 1. (read his page; the right to redistribute source and/or binaries of daemontools, which he considers a testing package, EXPIRES on 7/1/2005)

No, I'm not a fan of daemontols due to its quirky license, even though it is a fine program just as a program.

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
With a small patch AOLserver can handle '+' in URLs. Download openacs.org/storage/view/aolserver/aolserver-4.0-plus-sign-encoding.patch and apply.

Yes, daemontools's license is quirky. Maybe we should only make the source RPM available. As as side notes, we can setup a yum repository of source RPMs too.

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Lamar,

I almost forgot to thank you for testing the RPMs. I'll make a new source RPM available of tcl-threaded 8.4.9 soon. And yes, daemontools has its disadvantages, yet, OpenACS has more or less standardized on deamontools. Hence the inclusion of daemontools.

Also thanks for your offer to setup a yum repository, however in the best interest I think the repository should be hosted by openacs.org (or some subdomain). Of course credit for those who maintain the repository. Last but not least is that I hope the repository will contain server Linux distributions. So far we have RH 7.3, RH 8, RHE3 and CentOS 4.

Keep em coming!