Forum OpenACS Q&A: Google Summer of Code

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi,

I found this on slashdot: http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

I was wondering if OpenACS or dotLRN would participate as a mentoring organisation?

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
2: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This is awesome. Sadly OpenACS does not have yet a foundation, but maybe we can channel this through the .LRN consortium. I'd take on that job of applying once I get the nod from the consortium that I can go ahead. I'd assume that the $500 that are donated to the organization will go directly to pay for the new openacs.org server(s).
Collapse
3: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
The critical first step seems to be to get OpenACS listed as a participating mentoring organization. (It looks like a student can fill in "Other" for mentoring organization rather than picking one listed, but depending on that that would severely limit the number of OpenACS student candidates - bad.)

Malte, Google doesn't seem to give specific instructions on how to get signed up as a mentoring organization, but you're on the OpenACS Core Team, so I recommend you just contact Google ASAP and ask them what to do. (Who to give the $500 to at the end of the summer is trivial, not need to worry about that now. If necessary OpenACS can just turn down the money and tell Google to keep it.)

Btw, Marc G. Fournier posted about this on the PostgreSQL Hackers list, but so far PostgreSQL isn't listed as a mentoring organization either. Nor is AOLserver or Tcl. Possibly co-ordinate with the PostgreSQL, AOLserver, and Tcl folks to get all the major projects OpenACS uses signed up?

Collapse
Here's the PostgreSQL thread on this. I just emailed the AOLserver and Tcl-core lists as well, but my email hasn't yet shown up in the corresponding AOLserver and Tcl-core web-based email archives yet.
Collapse
5: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi
The dotLRN consortium is also going to apply as 'mentoring organization'. Maybe we should have a single one?

Rafael

Collapse
6: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Grigor Monovski on
According to this post http://groups-beta.google.com/group/summer-discuss/browse_thread/thread/e0a93f66ba0682f1/fb1b86075032726f the deadline is "tonight" as of June 1st, which is another hour or so from now if they go by EST, or 4 hours if they go by PST (they are on the West Coast, right?), and if I have my math right (it's a very early morning in Bulgaria, where I post from), and (last if) if by "tonight" they mean midnight.

I hope whoever is doing the application is aware of this, or would be soon enough.

Good luck!
g.m.

Collapse
7: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Grigor,

Thanks for the alert. I went ahead and submitted something on behalf of .LRN. Of course, this will be open to all OpenACS projects. I put down Rafael as the contact.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. This could be a great opportunity for students worldwide.

Collapse
8: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
They have closed the list, but we might get a grace. I need to get a list of potential projects/ideas pronto (in the next ten to fifteen minutes). Can you please topics to me immediately.
Thanks. Carl Blesius is helping to put up the web page.
Collapse
9: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
On their site it says the deadline would be June 14th, but maybe this is for the applicants. Did you manage to get the website up for it? As the consortium seems to have everything under control I'll gracefully bow out and let them handle it. Thanks Nick for bringing this to our attention.
Collapse
11: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
I know that it was a tough deadline and you cannot expect a detailed list like we have e.g. for Ubuntu (http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyBounties) but even I as an OCT member have a hard time knowing exactly what would be asked of me. Maybe we could enhance the page to give at least some more information and link it e.g. to the forum threads where these topics are discussed (I like the Apache overview btw. http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005). Furthermore, who should be contacted for each of the enhancements so a student could ask *before* he applies (taking into account that there is no contact address on either the google page nor ours). Last but not least, as this is not a Wiki, how could others add their ideas, especially as this is now .LRN centric and does not foster to other OpenACS modules?

So much for bowing out 😊.

Collapse
12: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Oh, and how about a posting on the .LRN frontpage encouraging students to apply for this? After all they can apply for an "Other" organization, which could be .LRN after all (see http://www.winehq.org/ for an example of what I mean).

And while we are at it:

If you are a student and are interested in OpenACS and .LRN apply today at http://code.google.com/soc_application.html choosing and describing either your own project idea (using the "Other" organisation field until .LRN makes it into the official list) or take one from the list provided above.

Collapse
13: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
We are still not listed, any idea?

Here some other thoughts:
- IMS Learning Design Engine for dotLRN
- User & Administration Guide for dotLRN
- Dynamic Help System for OpenACS
- Improved, consistent and exhaustive Developer Guide
- Merge or all email functionalities of acs-mail, acs-mail-lite, bulk-mail, webmail-system, mailing-lists, spam...

Collapse
14: Re: Google Summer of Code (response to 1)
The PostgreSQL hackers list just mentioned that Google's Summer of Code is due to start up again soon for 2006...