Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS 4.5 Beta1 is available
necessary I'll roll out an update to this on short notice if
anything's thoroughly hosed.
Well, time to download.
I'll replace the tarball momentarily.
oacs-4-5-beta-1 CVS tag get us the fixed beta1, or the original beta1? I see a fix to
packages/acs-tcl/tcl/security-procs.xql dated 13 March which is probably the one you are referring to... but I thought I'd ask... aha... there is a tag
oacs-4-5-beta-1-1 which I'll use instead. Looks like it was merged back into
oacs-4-5-beta-1 anyway, but I'll play safe and use
oacs-4-5-beta-1-1 for now.
I don't see the info on the new tag posted anywhere yet... hope I'm not just duplicating already known and official info on the CVS tags with this post!
Ok folks, we're nearly ready to get a good acceptance test cycle going, but I could still use a few more volunteers.
If you have some time/resources to spare to test a package or two please let me know.
Don, this means we can go ahead with our development and trust that data model changes will be accompanied by upgrade scripts, right?
I'm getting quite a few volunteers now.. (always room for more)
Anyway, just thought I'd quickly explain what the plan is. We have two major requirements.
1) To create a good acceptnace checklist for each package
2) To excercise each package, for each database, using the checklist.
Therefore, to make this easier what I'm trying to do is
- Create on online form/tables/views for recording and viewing this stuff.
- Encourage developers/acceptance testers to help add to and build up the list of tests for each package.
Anyway, we're a bit snowed under here, but I hope to have a simple app available in the next 24hrs (or so) and then we can get cracking.
Lars Pind found an error in a patch submitted by Tilmann Singer (I only mention his name because Tilmann's so reliable that it only seems right to announce this evidence of his being capable of human error!) and I'll replace the tarball again later today. It's not a problem that most folks would notice as it's in the APM and won't crop up if you've downloaded our entire tarball and install from it.
But I'm going to update it anyway. If things look good after some preliminary testing by Simon I'll probably roll a quick "beta-2" with a few more bug patches as folks are still submitting them (thanks, everyone!) and then work towards a final release a week or two after that.
How does that sound to folks?
It would be nice to add comments to the documentation.
* Updated http://openacs.org/4/ with links for download, documentation, etc.
* Changed the OpenACS menu item "Documentation" to point to "/doc/" instead of "/doc/openacs/" (thanks Gilbert).
* Synced the database with the filesystem so you now can add comments/links to the OpenACS 4.5 docs (thanks Jade).
Great work Roberto, Vinod and everybody else involved...
Of course I could argue that this was deliberate to make Don mention my name here ...