Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Newbee documentation

Collapse
Posted by Aernout Schmidt on
Torben, Aldert, thanks for your comments. I like Torben's suggestion to employ the question-answer format and we can try it out in this thread. We best focus on the next question first:

Q. For whom is the Q/A newbee documentation (emerging in this thread) supposed to be of interest?

A. For people like myself - i.e. people with some programming experience, professionally tied into MSWindows conditions and motivated to explore OpenACS on a DSL-connected FreeBSD server.

------------

For some coherence I suggest we sequentially address questions in the following areas:

1. What do I need before I start? (e.g., FreeBSD server; PuTTY, iXPLORE on desktop; a link to Philip and Alex's Guide);

2. Where and how do I get and store the relevant sources? (wget, cvsup, ports, aolserver, libxml, freebsd-aolserver-extras, aol-startscript, postgresql, postgres-headers, postgres-startscript, pgdriver, daemontools, openacs-core, openacs-packages, openacs-openfts-driver package, dotlrn-core)

3. How do I compile and configure aolserver and postgres?

4. How do I configure monitoring aolserver and postgresql as services?

5. How do I install OpenACS-core and -packages?

6. How do I configure FreeBSD, aolserver and postgres for some speed?

7. How do I install OpenFTS-driver?

8. How do I install dotLRN-core?

9. How do I install and configure external packages?

----------------------

I realise I have two subtopics in this response (the first Q/A tuple and a concept sequence).