Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Excellent New Site

Collapse
3: Re: Excellent New Site (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Like Jack, the Ripper would say, "let's do it by parts":

Regarding messages you post not showing up on the list, yes the information is cached, so there might be a delay in them showing up, although notifications will have been sent. Paginator does the caching.

Weird FROM addresses: Notifications has a feature that you can reply to a forums message via e-mail. That weird FROM address is how it keeps track of what message the e-mail is replying to. We're working to improve the forums messages "usability" with better headers and all that.

The three links at the bottom have [1],[2],[3]. Look at your message and you'll see the [1],[2],[3] pointing to those links.

The two e-mails is probably an artifact resulting from a combination of events. You probably changed your e-mail in your openacs.org account from when we first migrated (August) and a couple days ago. Our migration script was supposed to catch that, but it didn't, so you now probably have two accounts created and subscribed. Look at openacs.org/directory/ and see if you find two of you, and delete one of them. We're finding a way to merge accounts.

Timezone: dunno.

The "glitches" as you can see, are not forums glitches (it has other glitches, but none that you pointed out). They are the result of a massive migration from a totally different code base and data model 😊

Our apologies for the temporary inconveniences. We are working on them.

Collapse
5: Re: Re: Excellent New Site (response to 3)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
--Notifications has a feature that you can reply to a forums message via e-mail.--

Roberto,

whenever I reply to a notification by e-mail my message bounces with the following message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at openacs.org.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<notification-58065-2960@openacs.org>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)

Is the reply by e-mail feature currently in place?

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Apparently reply-by-email isn't set up yet. Judging from the comments in the file notifications/tcl/notifications-security-procs.tcl that is propably responsible for dealing with incoming replies it wouldn't be a good idea to activate this at a public site now, because the security checks necessary to make sure that a reply really came from the user that s/he claims to be are not implemented yet. Or maybe the code in that file should serve another purpose and I'm missing something, but there are procs like this in it:
    ad_proc -public can_notify_object_p {
        {-user_id ""}
        {-object_id:required}
    } { 
        # hack
        return 1
    }
Collapse
Posted by Christian Eva on
"Our migration script was supposed to catch that, but it didn't, so you now probably have two accounts created and subscribed. Look at openacs.org/directory/ and see if you find two of you, and delete one of them. "

How can I delete an old registration? I logged in into on of my old registrations (fortunately remebering the password) but there is no 'remove your subscription" link anywhere?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Bart, reply-by-email is not setup yet. I forgot to mention that in my previous e-mail.

-Roberto