Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Surveys and Branching

Collapse
19: Re: Surveys and Branching (response to 1)
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
Yes, that document looks like a pretty good summary of what IMS Simple Sequencing is conceptually about. However, as implementers, we're better off sticking to the original IMS Simple Sequencing Specification, IMHO.

Let me share my thoughts a little. We see Curriculum as the UI or front end to the simple sequencing engine. But Curriculum will have working relations with at least two other packages: Assessment and Learning Object Repository (LOR). Our common job as developers must be to coordinate these projects and fit these packages together. How do they fit together? What are their relations? This is my basic understanding:

Curriculum and LOR - As I've suggested in an earlier post, it's not LOR's task "to include the sequencing engine to be able to launch different learning objects according to IMS simple sequencing rules"; it's the task of Curriculum to be able to map content in LOR (or elsewhere) to activities in the curriculum sequences and launch them. LOR's task is to get the relevant information from Curriculum in order to export sequences, right?

Curriculum and Assessment - Here Curriculum is the client that wants to be able to ask the Assessment package for the results of a test taken and check these against the sequencing objectives and rules for the particular curriculum sequence set up in the Curriculum package. This is not something that the developers of Assessment have to worry much about, though.

This is how I see things right now. Does it make sense?