Forum OpenACS Development: xowiki - category pages

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I have an application where we would like to organize the content in xowiki with categories.

To 1) simplify category creation
and 2) extend the category functionality

we want to have a new xowiki page type "category page". What this would do is create a new category and xowiki page that have the same name. This way it would be possible to show the contents of the category when you look at the xowiki page, and also add xowiki content on the same page. This also makes it very easy to build a category tree without visiting the categories package.

I think this would be straightforward, basically we could show a category tree when creating this new type of page, and it would allow us to choose a parent category for the new category. Then the method to create the page would need to create the category and I think, add an attribute to link the catgory_id and the page object.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else worked on anything like this?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Dave, I think this makes sense if you want to have a default page per category (aka the first page shown when displaying a category), but you will limit yourself in the ability to define other pages to be the first page instead. Also, what do you gain from the approach of not visiting the categories package ?

You could also achieve the same by displaying the categories page (from admin categories) and create a link there for "create an xowiki page here".

I guess my main problem is to see the use case of why you would like to do this.

Here are some things though I worked on lately / will work on later (probably):

* XoWIKI Page Blocks. This allows you to have an XoWIKI Page made up of Blocks, which are formated according to a template and shown all on one page. This is similar to the one-page view of XoWIKI, yet works very differently due to the fact that the block is part of a page and rendered as such.

* Linking of XoWIKI pages to random objects so they can be rendered there. E.g. an XoWIKI page as the intro for a Seminar (instead of using the description field).

Things that I will work on:
* Sub pages: This will allow you to split up an existing page into multiple sub pages which can show up on the navigation. This is similar to blocks, but where blocks have anchors so you can jump to them on the same page, sub pages will actually take you to a separate page, albeit still showing you in the same context of the parent page. This will be done using the xowiki references.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
We are working on an idea of super simple structure with the least amout of work.

Not going to the categories package saves a huge aount of work. 1 step to create a hierachal structure and a set of pages.

The other way to do this would be using ltree and the book view. The book view might work better but this way seems more flexible to create any sort of structure.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Do I understand correctly that for a given xowiki instance if you map a category tree to it all xowiki pages display the categories on the ad_form page when you edit that page?

I think it would be better if categories could be mapped on page type level and not on xowiki instance level.