Forum .LRN Q&A: Newbie dotlrn question.

Collapse
Posted by jorge freitas on
I'm beginning to work whit dotlrn.Can anyone tell me if there is any easy way of insert lots of users in the system whitout having to insert them one at a time.And how can i see the relationships between the tables of the system database. Tanks.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
There is a Bulk Upload function that lets you upload users from a CSV file, which can be generated by excel or many other programs.

You can find the link on /dotlrn/admin/users.

The page (/dotlrn/admin/users-bulk-upload) has  instructions and an example file format.

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
In my experience using dotlrn at Sloan, I have found that CSV bulk upload files with greater than 50 names fails or the browser times out (which means you have to add users to a group manually one at a time), so I break larger files up into smaller files.

You also have to make sure that your CSV file is "clean" - without any extra spaces at the beginning or end of the file, so I check each file using notepad beforehand.

Collapse
Tanks,Caroline and Deirdre,for the help. I need to create a schema of the dotlrn database. Anyone knows where i can find that kind of information. Tanks.
Collapse
Tanks, Caroline and Deirdre, for the help. I need to make a schema of the dotlrn database. Anyone knows where i can find that kind of information. Tanks.
Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Jorge,

I've posted what Sloan has of a schema of our database, which is not exactly the same as dotLRN, but maybe it will be useful to you just the same.  It's in openacs file storage.

Collapse
Tanks, Deirdre.