Forum OpenACS Q&A: How about turning off the cvs commits forum?

We have cvs.openacs.org, people can sign up for the cvs commit mailing list, and we have Jeff's CVS browser. Shouldn't we just point to some of those instead?

It makes commits to openacs really slow, because posting to forums is really slow.

I realize that we should really solve that underlying problem, but turning off the forums postings would help a lot, and could be done right away :)

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Lars,

as far as I'm concerned you can turn of the CVS commits forum. It has never worked for me, despite the fact that I've requested notifications.

I'd like to advocate Jeff's CVS commits RSS feed at http://xarg.net/tools/cvs/rss/ which integrates wonderfully with his CVS browser.

My 2 cents.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Bartt,

The RSS feed sounds good.

Notifications don't work because you have to explicitly call notifications::new to generate the notification. The CVS forum insert adds the data through pl/sql I believe.

Lars,

Where is the mailing list and how does one "sign up" for it? If was are going to use a mailing list, can it be archived to the web site? I think that is the purpose of the forum.

So, if we can get email of CVS commits and archive it somewhere on the web site, I would agree to turn off the forum.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Lars,

I don't know how can one sign up for the CVS commits mailing list. AFAIK it is just a qmail alias, but I've been off-the-loop since finals a month ago (and now with my trip to  Brazil).

I really like receiving cvs commits notices because it helps me to follow what's been changed much more effectivelly. Bart suggested the RSS feed, which is another way.

The reason for me to add forum postings was so that people could get cvs commit notifications. I didn't know at the time that it wouldn't work without some additions to notifications (a PL/pgSQL API), which I haven't found the time to complete.

I think it'd be useful to leave the forum postings (searchable, archived), if we make some modifications to overcome the slowness:

- "buffer" the postings so they are added after the person has made the commit
- Add the pl/pgsql api spoken of to notifications.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Roberto,

True, I don't believe there's actually a mailing list. I don't know how it's implemented. But I suspect that making the cvs commit emails go to a mailing list wouldn't be too hard to setup.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I took out the cvs commit forum.

I'm going to ask Mike Sisk about how we sign people up for the openacs-cvs email, so people can track the progress that way if they so desire.

/Lars