Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: coneection to multiple server

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Note that last I checked, the default OpenACS AOLserver config.tcl file did not contain the syntax to tell the OpenACS db api which pools are for the OpenACS database - so by default it assumes they all are. (Hm, guess I should add that prior to the 5.0 beta...)

But in the meantime, if you add non-OpenACS database pools to your AOLserver, it is easy to add the necessary lines to the config file, but you'll need to refer to the docs and/or the comments in the code to tell you how.

Also, note that in OpenACS 4.6.x, you can only tell the OpenACS db api, "Don't use these other pools at all, they're for a different database." There, you can access the non-default database only via the ns_db API. The Head on the other hand (what will become OpenACS 5.0), has multi-db support, so there you can use the OpenACS db API to access as many different databases as you want, via the -dbn switch to the db API functions.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
FYI, the multi-db config syntax I mentioned above is now in the OpenACS etc/config.tcl file on the Head, so it will be part of OpenACS 5.0.