Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Payment Service Contract

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Richard, I don't know about the rest of your questions, but at least with AOLserver 3.x, if you wanted to provide Tcl access to a 3rd party C library the only way to do that was to write an AOLserver module creating the new Tcl commands. Except for any possible thread-safety issues in the 3rd party library, this isn't that hard.

I don't know where this AOLserver verisign module you mention is to be found (it's not in AOLserver SourceForge CVS), but that's presumably what it's for, and why it was designed the way you mention.

Now, AOLserver 4.0 supports the standard Tcl package require functionality, and (most) Tcl packages can be used exactly as-is. (The exceptions are currently packages which use global variables and expect those variables to be nicely cleaned up and reset to default states on http connection close, which AOLserver currently doesn't do.)

I am not sure, but I believe that AOLserver 4.0 may also be able to use Tcl packages which include C extensions in exactly the same way. In which case, the Verisign module you're talking could perhaps now bee coded as a Tcl extension package and used from both tclsh and AOLserver 4.0. But all this AOLserver 4.0 stuff is relatively new, so even if that works (and I'm not sure), you won't find many people around here who have done things that way yet.