Forum OpenACS Development: OpenACS.org maintenance team

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
The only way the openacs.org web site will ever contain useful up to date information and run on the latest OpenACS release is if someone actually does it.

Since last year when I initiated a migration to OpenACS 4, there has been very little work on the site. I realize that those who contributed to the migration would not forever spend their time fiddling with openacs.org.

So, we need to form a team. I don't mind coordinating it, but I can't do it all by myself. Basically the current process is someone emails Don Baccus, Jeff Davis, maybe Peter Marlund, Lars or myself, and if someone has time, we make a change.

We need a few people to volunteer to maintain the openacs.org bugtracker. All changes to the web site go through the bugtracker. This seems the easiest way to handle it. Right now several people have access to edit some of the pages through edit-this-page. There have been mentions of compiling useful tips, marketing and promotional material and all kinds of great stuff.

If you have something to post, suggest it in the bugtracker. Anything that is hard to find or confusing, submit a bug. Right now there are 18 open bugs for openacs.org. I will look at them this week.

If anyone wants to contribute to improving and maintaining the site, post here with details of how you can help.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Hi Dave,

as per the previous therad, I am happy to help with feature hacking and also documentation pages.

Availability varies as you might expect.

Also, there still needs to be a decision made about who and what process is involved in deciding a certain change can go ahead - and also what latitude the team will have to make decisions about how to achieve the agreed goal.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
As far as latitude to make changes ... the last round of design and redo happened after a spirited (to say the least!) public discussion and I think everyone was happy about that process.

More minor changes have frequently resulted from e-mail or forum requests, as people have time to tweak it here or there.  These haven't always been publicized ahead of time.  Some things are just too obviously useful to worry about process.

I think common sense is the key.  Just ask yourself ... "if Don were to do this, would I want to know about it in advance and be able to comment before he did it?" (or "if Jeff" or "if Dave" or whatever floats your boat) and if the answer is "yes", then it is safe to assume it's best to ask the community before plunging forward.

That's what I think at least.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Also folks should ALWAYS feel free to point out things about the site they don't like, and always feel even more free to offer to help fix the problems (preferrably in a way that helps the toolkit proper!)