Forum OpenACS Development: creating a more flexible login / user environment

A quick search in the forum has revealed that mine is not the only case, where a different login than an email address would be appropriate. However there may be some problems...

Right now I am trying to implement a model/system where any kind of string may be used as login (although depending on what the user specifies as which group he wants to get registered the string has to meet certain requirements to be accepted - e.g. user selects to register as 'other' than the system requires a string meeting the regular expression .*?@.*?\..*? in other words an email address).

What I wonder is as somebody else asked so eloquently, which repercussions are to be expected of such a change? The thing I believe might solve all such problems, if there actually are any, is to use the email from the parties table. After all every party has an email there, so every user should have one.

Anyway I'll have a look how well these things work and will put some more info about it here whenever I find something of interest.