Forum OpenACS Development: Re: The future of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Haven't you asked for an XoWiki widget for forms? Wouldn't it be nice to have tags, categories, web 2.0 gadgets, social networking ... in forums as well?

Yes, I have asked for it and I would love to have it working in (primarily) project manager. Yet I would not go down the road and rewrite project manager in XoWIKI Forms or derive a class from an XoWIKI Page, because that does not make much sense to me (or am I mistaken here).

Therefore we would have to see how much of the functions you mention (which are all great) can be put into the Generic::CrItem class, or how much sense it makes to derive from XoWIKI based Classes for applications like contacts and project manager.

On a related note, if I were having a customer asking me for an implementation of forums which has all these things, I would probably base that off XoWIKI Page class and write a derived xowiki-forums package. But yet noone has asked me about that 😊. I briefly thought about doing this in XoWIKI Forms but realized I would have to do a lot of construction, so I dropped this purely theoretical experiment.