Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Tip #2 (Approved): TIP Rules

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
  1. Anyone may start a thread. The first message of a thread is a full, final-draft TIP. The title has the tip number, "Proposed", and short description. Example:
    "TIP #2 (Proposed): TIP Rules". We recommend that TIPs follow the format used by the Tcl team.
  2. Anyone may post a thread followup. Thread followups must directly address the original TIP.
  3. Any OpenACS Core Team (OCT) member may vote Approval or Disapproval of a TIP. These replies must be titled "Seconded", "Thirded", or "Vetoed".
  4. Once we have a final status for a TIP, the original title is edited to reflect that.
    "Tip #2 (Approved): TIP Rules"
  5. If the TIP has been implemented, the title has to be edited to reflect that.
    "Tip #2 (Implemented): TIP Rules"
  6. All OCT members must subscribe to the forum.
  7. If a new TIP gets Seconded and Thirded and not Vetoed in the first week after posting, it is Approved. If it gets at least one Veto, the proposer must summarize objections and call for a full vote in a reply titled "Call for Full Vote". Previous Second/Third/Veto votes are then null, and the OCT members vote with replies titled "Approve" or "Disapprove". If, after two weeks of full voting, the TIP has two thirds approval, it is Approved. If not, it is Disapproved.
  8. After a TIP is Approved or Disapproved, the thread is closed to new posts.
  9. If a TIP is approved, a ticket is entered into the bugtracker under the proposer's name.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Who is on the OCT? So far this has been an arbitrary selection process (mostly dominated by members of two OACS firms). Someone needs to write a TIP for electing OCT members.

What does "T" stand for? Technical?

If we have nontechnical proposals, where should they go? i.e. OpenACS documentation proposals.

Subscription to forums does not mean they are read.

talli

Collapse
TIP stands for "OpenACS Improvement Proposal."  A Proposal could be anything that changes the OpenACS codebase, best practices, or web site, significantly enough to need a stamp of approval.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Why the T?

I'd be down with the Talli Improvement Proposal, but given my proclivities for self-enhancement, they would never manifest.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Let's formally adopt the TIP format. It will be much easier to process TIPs to determine status etc is they all follow a common format.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
1. We should require the format used by the Tcl TIPs. It'll make our lives easier.

We should use the TIP AutoGenerator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiprender/) that the Tcl Project uses. It making viewing, handling and overall working with TIPs faster, easier and more visible.

The TIP AutoGenerator is composed of a bunch of Tcl Scripts. We can modify that script for our needs to make our lives easier. For example, we can modify the script to automatically insert the TIP into bug-tracker once it has been approved. Here's the Tcl TIP Repository, handled by tiprender: http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/1.html

A consequence of using the TIP AutoGenerator (tiprender) is that it won't make much sense to use Forums to keep track of TIPs because tip render needs to receive plain text e-mail. tiprender takes care of checking the TIP for appropriate format, and once it's correct it autonumbers it, formats it into several different outputs (including HTML, LaTeX, XML, etc.), displays follow-ups, checks the TIP into CVS, etc.

-Roberto

Collapse
7: Call for Full Vote (response to 1)
Okay, we have a Provisional OpenACS Core Team. Now they need a mutually agreed upon way to function. So I'm calling for a full vote by the OCT (not the committers) to approve the process by which the OCT votes. This is a bit recursive, so here are my suggestions:
  • If at least four of the Provisional OCT post "Approved" in this forum in the next week, I'll change the TIP status to "Approved".
  • If not, perhaps the Provisional OCT should arrange an online meeting to they figure out how they're going to function for the next month.
  • TIP 2 could be replaced with a new long-term process if we so chose
  • It would be nice if our TIP format was standard, if we were all happy with the name, if we had a nice automatic processing and formatting web site, etc. Are any of these issues serious enough to block adoption of this process while we work them out? What are the consequences that TIPs from August 2003 don't follow the ultimate format? (Note that the TCL tip renderer is an Alpha-quality sourceforge project, and the home page says "I don't intend to release it until we get the TIP format actually standardised.")
Collapse
8: Tip #2: Approved by Lars (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Approved
Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Approved
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I approve.

While I like the idea of something like the TIP renderer, for now I'd like to see them posted to the forums.  For one thing it makes the process very open.

We can always adopt tools later ...

Collapse
Posted by Victor Guerra on
Changed the description of the process of TIP's to reflect the state of "Implemented".

This was decided by the OCT. Check the notes of the meeting:
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=1453927