Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP #9 (Approved): Cleaning up acs-subsite.

I would like to ask permission to work on cleaning up the end-user visible part of the UI of acs-subsite. acs-subsite is part of the core, has no maintainer and needs a caring hand in a few spots. What I have in mind in particular are these points:

*) Review and possibly apply/reject the outstanding patches for acs-subsite, and try to get someone more experienced to review the doubt cases before applying.

*) Completely I18Nize the parts of acs-subsite visible to the casual visitor. Possibly the admin interface as well. There are a lot of pieces and tags missing here. I intend to do this by simply moving the current English text over into new tags in the proper catalog file, and adding translations for Danish. I'm not qualified to do the translation for any other language.

*) Correct, with due apologies to the original translator, some of the Danish translations. Some of them are not proper Danish  understandable by the average visitor with no technical background IMHO.

*) Remove any technogarble URL texts visible to the visitor. Please see acs-subsite/www/pvt/home.adp for a nice example of this:

"If you want to check ..., visit garblegarblegarble"

Should probably be something like

"If you want to check ..., visit *this page*"

*) Apply patch #265, which corrects a bug in acs-tcl. All the current cases of passing a simple string with more than one word in it as context currently results in a broken context bar.

*) 'Inline' some of the error messages/pages currently generated through ad_return_error and ad_return_complaint. In some cases the error pages ought to be an ordinary page wrapped in the default template, because the error really isn't one.

An example is the case of visiting the portrait page of an user, who haven't yet uploaded one. This calls ad_return_error even through the scenario is a perfectly valid state for the DB and the web engine as a whole. A HTTP error code 500 ought to only be returned in those cases, where we areally are at a dead end and needs to throw in the towel.

I intend to add a 'return_code' to some of the ADP/Tcl page pairs in order to make the ADP page readable, even though it may get longer.

This also cleans up the code by moving most of the texts visible to the visitors out of the Tcl pages, for centralization of the I18N effort and general ease of maintenance.

*) Adding sensible and possibly empty ALT tags to all images, the portrait in particular, for the benefit of non-graphical browsers (Lynx, screen readers).

*) Piling any thorny issues discovered when doing this work into the bug and/or patch tracker as needed for review before comitting.

A concept patch demonstrating some of the corrections I have in mind have been uploaded to the patch tracker as patch #266.

I intend to do this work by submitting patches, but the core reason I ask here before starting, is that a reasonable acceptance pace will probably be needed for fast progress, as some of the corrections will to some degree rely on the acceptance of previous ones. At the discretion of the OCT I can also apply the changes directly to CVS HEAD.

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Frank,
this sounds great! I certainly approve. The only thing I wanted to point out is that over the coming 2-3 weeks we will be changing the registration UI as part of our external authentication work.
Collapse
3: Re: TIP #9 Approved (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Frank,

I think this all sounds like great enhancements. Thanks for carrying this forward.

The only thing I'd like to ask you is to hold off until we've finished the merge from oacs-4-6 branch onto HEAD, as that has a lot of changes to acs-subsite sitting in it.

In fact, while merging today, I discovered a number of things that we'd both done in parallel, you on HEAD, I on the branch. So it looks like a good idea to get the merge completed, so we can focus on HEAD.

Once that's complete, I'd ask you to simply commit to HEAD, and I'll make sure to review your changes. What I've seen so far looks good, and I wouldn't want to stand in your way.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Frank N. on
Peter,
Just let me know if I should stop modifying things for a while if you are planning some large scale changes. That way we ought to be able to not 'step on each other's toes'.

Lars,
No problem, I'll sit on my hands until told otherwise. I was of the impression that the forward merge had already taken place. That is why I had started doing the autumn clean-up in the first place.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Frank, as part of external authentication, we'll be changing just the login pages (/register/*) and the change password page.

However, I have already made a lot of other changes to acs-subsite, so we definitely want that to be stable before internationalizing it.

Most of the other things, you can start doing as soon as I'm done with the merge later this week.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Merge has been completed. Frank, please go ahead, except on the /register and /user/password-update* pages, which we'll be touching in the next few days.

Go for it! :)

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Frank N. on
Lars,

Sounds great, however it seems some triviality slipped through the cracks, HEAD fails on installing from scratch when attempting to create the admin user; http://.../create-administrator-2...

I'll dig in once that is sorted out, though I'll wait for your OK before adding any I18N fixes/additions.

I've mailed you an error log snippet. :)

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Fixed.
Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Lars, since you're updating the /register pages, you might want to look at the patch I submitted to fix the broken user-join.tcl code.

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug_number=724

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I keep forgetting we're supposed to say "Seconded", "Thirded", etc.

Anyway, with two approvals and no vetos, this is approved.