Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: Tip #26 (Proposed): Exchange acs-mail-lite

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on

One thing I think is important to do is make clear which packages are no longer actively developed and which have been superceded by another package. Moving them to obsolete-packages seems to be the best way to do that. bboard is a good example. People were still using it on new installs even though it had a host of problems mostly because it wasn't clear that forums was the prefered package.

In any case, I had a look through the code and here are some observations:

• acs_mail_lite::with_finally should go somewhere else (probably along side with_catch in acs-tcl utilities-procs.tcl)
  • it needs upgrade scripts for existing installs (since it changes the datatype of to_addr to text/clob, and adds some columns and renames some constraints
  • I dislike that it renames existing constraints since its certainly possible that some people code might check for the contraint name when an insert or update fails.
  • the code has tabs rather than spaces (although since we do not have any coding standards I guess thats not a fair criticism).

I agree with Don that it should be a 5.1 thing though.