Forum .LRN Q&A: Catalog files update ?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This question has been asked on and off a couple of times. How do I get the most recent catalog files from the translation server. So far the answer (afaik) has been to wait for Collaboraid to move them from the translation server to CVS.

Is this really the process we want to follow in the future? This would create a serious bottleneck and I'm not sure if Peter is happy in doing this for the next couple of years (moving catalog files from the translation server to the distribution).

Let me give you some ideas ;):

1. Automatically update the catalog files from the translation server using some bash magic (to only update the catalog files and nothing else).
  2. Distributed translations. Not sure if and how this would work, but the idea is to have a repository for OpenACS with the default language English and whenever someone says "enable language", this language is downloaded from the translation server (of choice). This also enables the use of multiple translation servers and multiple translations, just in case you are not happy with the translation given by party A and prefer party B's translation instead (e.g. if I were to translate into German, I'm sure everyone would choose the translation provided by Anja, *but* maybe someone likes my style better for his/her website).
  3. Tar Files for download from the translation server. For each lanuage there could be a tar file, rooted at the serverroot, which contains the latest catalog files of this language. To install, go to /var/lib/aolserver/serverroot and untar it.
I'm willing to work on and test out 1 & 3.

P.S.: If there is already a different process that is easy to handle in place, accept my apologies for my ignorance. In this case I hope, this could show up in the documentation.
P.P.S.: Talking about documentation. Is it a bug or intention that the documentation at /doc/acs-lang is out of date and does not include everything needed (like installation instructions for new languages) ?

Collapse
2: Re: Catalog files update ? (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Malte, here is a partial answer:

1) We are working on a new upgrade/merge support mechanism for catalog files that will make committing catalog files from the translation server to CVS easier and less error prone. The new approach means we are doing the merging in OpenACS rather than relying on CVS to do it for us. If there are merge conflicts then manual inspection would probably still be required before we can commit the files to CVS. Also, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable committing a whole bunch of files to CVS without manual inspection.

3) It would certainly be fairly easy to generate tarballs with catalog files from the translation server. If you want to work on this feature, Malte, feel free. I can point you to the procs to use.

Thanks for the feedback!

Collapse
3: Re: Catalog files update ? (response to 2)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Okay, I'll do #3 ;). Here is my thinking:
  1. Create a scheduled proc that updates the catalog files out of the database nightly. Something like db_foreach package_key { and here I need your help or look it up in acs-lang }. Files should be stored in a seperate directory structure for each locale (e.g. /tmp/de_DE/packages/...)
  2. Create a bash-script, that tar's up the up to date catalog files and stores them somewhere to download (e.g. /www/catalog/de_DE.tgz)
  3. Write a documentation for new users on how to download the catalog file.
Obviously Peter would have to install it at one stage on the translation server as I doubt it would make much sense if I provide this on my laptop.
Collapse
4: Re: Catalog files update ? (response to 3)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
We have a mechanism for installing packages from a central repository - go to http://dotlrn20-test.collaboraid.net/register/admin-login and then http://dotlrn20-test.collaboraid.net/acs-admin/install/ and you will see a link that is broken, but Lars will fix it as an alpha requirement.  It does direct d/l and install from an openacs.org repository.  I think we should use this mechanism for installing new languages or updating languages, but I'm not sure how that integrates with synchronizing new work.