Forum OpenACS Development: AOLServer 4.0 released...

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
It looks like aolserver 4.0 has been officially released and is available at sourceforge (although it was some sort of stealth release as there hasn't been any mention of it on the aolserver list); Release notes and download page. It's tagged in CVS as aolserver_v40_r0
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
cool...

man, that was a LONG beta. :)

Collapse
Posted by Christian Eva on
I changed after using beta10 and noticed, that the Server shutdown does not function anymore (i.e after first phase of installation). I have to kill nsd by hand, any reason why?
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Christian - this has been discussed on the AOLserver list and I haven't seen a resolution yet.  Apparently aol.com itself is never shut down and they hadn't noticed :)
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi all,

I tried to run the aolserver 4 as root using -b ip:80 -g group -u service0 but the server complains that it cannot open error.log and service0.log (permission denied) even though I changed the log directory to 777.

Any idea why that happens?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Did you chmod dir only or files as well?

There's no need for 777 on these files, 744 is more than enough (you may also consider 740).  But they should be owned by service0/group.

Collapse
yes I used

chown -R service0:group service0

first. It still doesn't have permissions.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I know this might sound funny, but it happened to me quite some times as well. Can you make sure that the path for the logfiles in the config.tcl is actually pointing to the directory where you want to store it?
Collapse
Yeah it does. I have both v3.3 and v4 installed both using the same config.tcl...so I don't think this is the problem. But you are right often the little things cause problems.

But Malte...a second problem that I had was compiling nsprostgres. As you have mentioned in the Documentation an error message like

nspostgres.c: In function `Ns_PgTableList':
nspostgres.c:679: warning: passing arg 3 of `Tcl_DStringAppend' as signed due to prototype

is an indication that PostGreSQL is probably not in the standard location. I tried everything /usr/share, usr/local, usr/include but I always get this message. I use SuSE 9.0 and am possible to locate the postgres files via YAST but I have no clue what goes wrong.

Do you have an idea what file the compiler misses?

Greetings,
Nima