Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Parent_id for folders with no parent in acs-content-repository

Coming back to the original question. I still need some sort of solution.

Right now, if I have two file-storage root folders, they have to have unique names. That is why they are named file-storage-12345 with the package instance object_id as part of the name.

If we use -100, 0, NULL, it doesn't matter. It would be impossible to name more than one folder "file-storage".

If would be impossible to install two package instances of file-storage called file-storage.

One solution is to special case calculating the URL of a site_node folder and pull the name from the site_node name instead.

An ugly solution would be to use a non-cr object_id as the parent_id. I had thought to use the item_id iteself as parent_id, but this fails if someone tries to add a file with the same name as the folder name, or a sub-folder with the same name.

So I am open to any solution to this problem. I guess in dotLRN the file-storage site nodes are named after the class they are mounted under so this won't necessarily cause a problem there.

So i guess the question is, should a root folder of a folder hierarchy use the cr_items.name attribute as the URL fragment for that folder the same way all other content_folders do?

I'm not quite following what the hierarchy would look like in your examples above. I think it would be easier if you could describe the options with a little ASCII diagram.

However, would the non-CR-item parent_id be so ugly?

Why not use the package_id of the file-storage package as the parent_id of either the root folder for that file-storage instance?

/Lars