Forum OpenACS Q&A: Removal of .LRN applets

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
As mentioned earlier we have implemented the applet remove procs for the dotlrn applets listed below.

Current work only provides support for postgres. The code was committed to head but reverted due to oaca-5-4 branching.

For most packages only the dotlrn-*/tcl/*-procs.tcl had to be changed. Some package required an upgrade script.

basically it is now possible to add or remove applets as you like. the corresponding data is removed as well.
packages that have not implemented this feature return a human readable message already.

the implementation was tricky because we had to deal with general services like notifications, general comments, attachements and categories.

why we did this work: basically to help professors to keept their communities clean and to remove packages not required anymore.

Can some of the Oracle friends provide the required sql for oracle so that the stuff can find it's way to the next release? This would be very much appreciated.

List of packages that support applet removal:
----------------------------------------------
assessment
calendar
evaluation
bm
forums
edit-this-page
chat
faq
members
members_staff
fs
homework
news
news-aggregator
photo-album
random-photo
static
survey
syllabus
weblogger

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
General comments is tricky. Categories and notifications should be on delete cascade.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Attachments too should have on delete cascade.
Collapse
Posted by Raúl Morales Hidalgo on
Nima,

Of course we can help, I don't know if we will have time to do it but I'm willing to do it in my spare time if not.

Collapse
Posted by Mario Aguado on
Hello Nima,

where can i view the files, version, etc?

If it isn't hard work (on time) i can translate to oracle for 2.4.0.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Nima, can you commit this to HEAD (please, NOT the oacs-5-4 branch!)

Also, could you tag HEAD with something like "pre-nima-applet-removal" or something like that before committing?

The reason is that we have volunteers lined up to port to Oracle, but if they don't get finished before we release 2.5 we'll have to roll it back, branch, and recommit to HEAD again sometime this summer. I don't think we'll have to do so, but having HEAD tagged just before your commit would make it easier if we have to do so.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hello everybody! In the University of Valencia we are trying to remove all the information stored in the database about a one community.

One of the first step is remove the applets. I'm trying to find some information about that in the OpenACS forums.

In this thread I can see that the problem was solved, but I can't find the code from CVS.

Anyone know where is the code?

Thanks.