Forum OpenACS Q&A: Configuring File Storage

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Dear all,
I have two questions concerning the file storage:

1. As far as I can remember it is possible to limit the size of single files for users but is it also possible to limit the total space a single user has to his own?

2. From my understanding the files are stored in the database. Is it also possible to save files on the local disc let's say unter /home/userx? We use OpenAFS and this would allow students to have access to their files over .LRN or any other service that has access to it.

Best wishes,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Spencer on

The comments below refer to version 4.6.2 of file-storage though, they may apply to other versions.

1. This functionality (AFAIK) doesn't exist. However, it could be added rather easily (see: content_length in the cr_revisions table).
  2. file-storage can store files in the file system, governed by the parameter StoreFilesInDatabaseP. You can set this to be the default behavior on package install by modifying the parameter in /packages/file-storage/file-storage.info. The parameter can also be modified after install from the site-map. However, the OpenACS currently has no mechanism associating system accounts with OpenACS users. Well, that is not entirely true; you might want to look into external authorization. Again, file-storage could be modified to support or include this functionality.
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Thank you. I will ask the external auth people if they have an idea.