Forum .LRN Q&A: Project ideas for Master's Thesis

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
I spent yesterday afternoon with Vasil Alexandrov and Gareth Lewis from the University of Reading (they are part of the eLane project).

They have a Masters program where students do various projects and investigations and they are interested in having the students do some of these based on dotLRN/OpenACS.

I don't want to distract from the dotlrn 2.0 effort.  These projects will be set up as investigative/learning projects that may end up having use in the overall platform if things turn up positive. Galileo University is supporting the University of Reading get up to speed as part of the eLane project. So it is the ideal opportunity to try out new functionality/integration/ideas.

I'm going to send him a list of project ideas based tonight.  Any suggestions?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Can you be more specific about their interests and abilities?  If they are considering doing anything that could become part of OpenACS, then probably the OpenACS component of their project should be about three times smaller than they think it should, to guarantee that a completed piece of work is available at the end to put back into OpenACS.
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
As I announced in my last post, I am presently writing up a proposal for research on the implementation of .lrn, including, hopefully, the integration of classroom assessment techniques, an anthropological investigation of class and out of class use, and the design of documentation, modifications of the interface, and tweaks to enhance functionality.  If the MA students might be interested in researching things from this user perspective, I'd love to hear about it as we might be able to work them into the proposal design (during the next couple of weeks).  Thanks!  Bruce