Forum OpenACS Q&A: ArsDigita/OpenACS meeting summary

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on

ArsDigita Visit - 8/6/2000

On August 6th, I met with a number of ArsDigitans to discuss ACS, OpenACS, Interbase and Postgres. On the ArsDigita end were Michael Yoon, Adam Farkas, Kai Wu, Brian Quinn, Hugh Brock, and Barbara Link. Barbara is with the ArsDigita Foundation, while everyone else is with ArsDigita Corp proper. On the OpenACS end, there was Gerald Ruderman and myself. Gerald has done little in terms of OpenACS development, but tons in terms of usage and evangelism.

After months of quasi-ignorance of OpenACS, it seems that ArsDigita has found a serious need to be fully open-source. Mostly, this is related to the ArsDigita Foundation and the rising interest that non-profits have in building serious web sites. Oracle remains too pricey, while the concept of open-source is truly in touch with the non-profit attitude. The hoopla surrounding the Interbase release was clearly noticed, and it seems important to ArsDigita to port to it because Interbase is well known in the commercial world.

In my mind, the port to Interbase is a great idea (more choice is always better), as long as the community is involved in the process, and as long as the PostgreSQL compatibility is neither shunned nor broken. After all, PostgreSQL already has a strong community, and is truly an "insanely great" piece of software.

It seems that ArsDigita now understands the importance of working within the context of OpenACS and gaining the respect and approval of the growing community. Thus, after a short discussion, it was agreed that Sebastian, ArsDigita's Interbase expert, will focus all of his time on OpenACS. The first step will be to build a generic DB abstraction scheme using the current DB connection API. This will be done in such a way as to support both Postgres and Interbase (and Oracle, or any other RDBMS). Only once this is done will specific Interbase work be undertaken. This is great news! Note that we're not expecting this to be a perfect, 100% abstraction, but at least to cut through 90% of the generic DB queries. Note also that this doesn't in any way simplify the porting of the data model and stored procedures, which remains a purely vendor-specific task.

In order to move rapidly towards the future of the ACS, this DB abstraction layer will be implemented in the context of ACS 4.0. For those of you who still doubt it, ACS 4.0 is a *massive* overhaul of the entire data model and code structure. The core ACS 4.0 will be *very* interesting. In order to give as many people as possible an early glimpse into what's to come, ArsDigita has also agreed to open up for reading their CVS tree, including the latest 4.0 branch. If you're interested in contributing to OpenACS 4.0, I recommend taking a look at this stuff ASAP (news of the open CVS tree will come shortly). We want to move fast and release soon after Classic ACS 4.0 (which is planned for September 1st, but will surely slip).

What's truly interesting in ACS 4.0:

• a completely revamped core data model that is much more solid and makes use of inheritance principles. Needless to say, the implementation in Postgres should be much easier than even the Oracle implementation! Go Object-Relational!
  • a new content repository
  • a revamped package manager (yes, modularity!)
  • true scoping and subcommunities
  • a web repository for sharing community-contributed packages
  • a few other goodies (content management, workflow, etc...)

Overall, ACS 4.0 is looking like a very interesting upgrade . There are roadblocks still ahead, mostly in ensuring that 4.0 is complete enough to allow module compatibility and extensions in future 4.x versions. Most important, however, is the amount of thought and engineering put into ACS 4.0: it is significantly better than for earlier ACS versions.

The web repository for community-contributed packages will help non-ArsDigitans contribute to the ACS. The package manager is already very powerful, and ArsDigita has agreed to look into making it data-store aware, so that packages are either Oracle, Interbase, Postgres, or a combination of those (think fat binaries).

The final picture? ArsDigita seems interested in moving towards a more community-centric approach to developing the ACS. This remains to be backed up by actions, but those seem to be in the works. Things to remember:

• Sebastian will work on OpenACS, first on database abstraction, then on Interbase specifics.
  • ACS 4.0 will be available, during development, by CVS.
  • A web repository of community-contributed packages will soon be launched.
  • ArsDigita wants to be a truly open-source company.

I have high hopes for the weeks to come, and I hope the OpenACS community will once again rise to the occasion to kick off OpenACS 4.0 shortly after the official launch of ACS Classic 4.0.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
WOOO HOOO! Great news all around. Kudos to the diplomats and gadflies on all sides for making this happen.
Collapse
Posted by Bryan Quinn on
The ACS Core team has posted some design materials for the upcoming ACS 4 release at http://www.arsdigita.com/doc/acs40. We are committed to building a high-caliber system and would appreciate any comments and criticisms on these documents. To contribute a review, please post to the ACS Development Bboard, ACS 4.0 category. We have disabled static page comments on these pages. Please use this forum to contribute any comments as it automatically notifies the ACS Core team and allows for more interactive discussion.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, this is pretty much everything I've wanted to hear for many months.  Time for me to lay down the war club and to roll up my sleeves and help make this work.  Well, after I get back from banding hawks in Nevada for all of next month, that is!

Ironically, my entire motivation for porting over the bboard and to start working on porting other pieces of the ACS to Postgres a year ago last month was exactly the same motivation as is held by the ArsDigita Foundation - to make the ACS toolkit available for not-for-profits who can't afford Oracle but who want to build significant websites.  It has been only recently that I've considered using OpenACS for client sites.

So hearing that aD shares my goal of making it possible for non-profits to build complex websites without breaking the bank also motivates me.  Very much.

Some background - I served on the Board of Directors of Portland Audubon, the second largest chapter of the National Audubon Society for over twelve years.  I also donate one to two months of my time nearly every year as a field biologist for HawkWatch, Int'l for the aforementioned Nevada gig, and have been on the Steering Committee of Partners in Flight's OR/WA chapter as well.

Conservation is in my blood, as is service to non-profits.  OpenACS, whether on Postgres or InterBase, will enable savvy non-profits to put  together great sites (and savviness is much easier to come by than money in grass roots organizations like those I work with).

I'll echo Ben's comments regarding 4.0. it will be a great improvement, and porting it will be a lot of work.

Worthwhile work!

Great news, Ben.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
well, guys, it seems that there's a commonality among us
following the openacs development!

a few friends and i are starting a consulting group expressly to
help non-profits build effective web presences, intra and inter.
we believe that the acs is the software suite to use, because of
it's technical excellence and because of it's commitment to OSS.
OpenACS is a HUGE and probably complete step to where we
can provide np's with solutions they love - low-cost, stable and
efficient.

what i would like to propose is that within the openacs
community we develop another community of people dedicated
to providing these resources to non-profits.  i would volunteer
dev space and organizational backbone if there is interest.
please continue this line, email me personally, or let's start
another thread.  seems there are a lot of people out there with
similar ideas, so let's organize!!!

talli

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
I'm glad that our meeting has been received enthusiastically by y'all at openacs.org.  This is the beginning of a new era of ACS development.

Sebastian will be back online this week, and together we'll begin charting a course that will bring the ACS "classic" and OpenACS closer together.
My long-term goal is to have a single codebase. [gasp..]

I look forward to working with everyone in the community. (Remember -- this should be fun.)

As an aside, http://cvs.arsdigita.com is now open for browsing.  Anon checkouts should be operational later in the week.

Enjoy.

Collapse
I have been speaking to one fairly large non-profit about designing an ACS-backed solution for them. Having a supporting development community (with demonstrable programming capabilities) would help ensure that I could give them what they need for a price they could afford.

Count me in.

Collapse
A further question about the non-profit community:

I've been thinking about it for a bit since my last post, and I'm not exactly clear on what another community space would add. How would it compliment the OpenACS site? Who would the target audience be? What resources will be provided? And what are the concrete goals? While I'm really for the idea of evangelizing OpenACS for non-profits, I suspect that could be accomplished by creating a bboard category and a few articles for the existing OpenACS site.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
We can probably make a totally separate bboard for all issues of non-profits, instead of a category. It seems like there's enough disjunction between the two to make that happen. Thoughts?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
A bboard would be good, but I think a lot more could be done with such a site (whether its part of the openacs site or not).

Not-for-profits tend to be able to scare up smart folks, at least larger ones like Portland Audubon, but folks on the board and staff tend to be someone unknowledgable of computer technology.  The Portland Audubon board has three fine and intellegent biologists on it - one ran the Endangered Species program of the USF&W under Carter, another the USF&W's Region 1 (the PNW), and another all USF&W refuges in California and Nevada.  There are also vets, lawyers, accountants etc.

These people could really use some background material on just what kind of stuff a community-oriented web site could bring to the table.  A directory of good non-profit sites (not restricted to those implemented by variants of the ACS) would be really useful as it would  give folks like this targets to strive towards.

Such a resource could give weight to the claims made by members or fellow staff/board members about just what can be done at reasonable price, by providing ammunition for use on technophobic skeptics.

So I think the aD Foundation has a real chance to build THE prime web-based resource on web technology for non-profits, above and beyond  simple issues related to using the ACS to build a web presence.

Collapse
Don's point about the programming expertise level in non-profits raises an interesting question. A community of non-profits interested in OpenACS would largely be a community of non-programmers. This strikes me as being a relatively unusual (though attractive) situation for an Open Source project. How do you imagine that working? Would the community site act mainly as a source of information and contacts for non-profits to find programmers, or could they be integrated into the OpenACS development process in a more central way?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Certainly a place to find programmers willing to work for a non-profit  for a discount would be one thing to offer.

But a lot of grass-roots not for profits, larger ones, at least, also have people they can draw on from the community if they have some idea  as to what they want to do.  And more importantly can raise grant money for projects if they can clearly articulate what it is they want  to do.  A resource that gives examples of good non-profit websites and clearly explains how technology like a nearly bug-free (ahem) toolkit like the ACS can be used to build such sites at reasonable cost or with reasonable amounts of skilled volunteer labor would help them tap into both resources.

Collapse
Posted by John Lin on
Is Interbase open source and FREE for D/L now?
Collapse
Posted by Li-fan Chen on
John, please check interbase.com for the latest availability info.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Short answer, John - yes.  As of a few weeks ago the source to the superserver version was released.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
don and michael, i think that you guys have both made some
excellent points and have some great ideas.  if i may, i'd like to
add some to the discussion, present an idea some friends and i
are working on and propose some future steps.

we are starting a company in new york city called musea
technologies whose purpose will be to provide non-profits with
effective open source software solutions along with the technical
expertise they need to implement their web presence and
improve their IT.  clearly, openacs is the answer for most of their
problems.  you're all probably more familiar with the reason than
i am, so i won't waste anytime listing them for you.

however, after studying some of the issues that various
non-profits have with their IT, we realized the most helpful
service we could provide is not an internet presence but cheap,
reliable, scalable, etc. software that would improve their
efficiency at REASONABLE costs.  in short words, they need an
intranet solution designed for non-profits.

Unfortunately, the market is dominated by expensive bloatware.
One
glaring example is Blackbaud, "the Cadillac of donor software".
Zillions
of features, mostly unused, and a price tag of $10,000 for 2-4
users, $18,000 for 8-10 users, then $5000 after that for every 5
more you add.
That's not counting the NT/Novell server and network, nor the
$3,000 for
the training tutorial CDs.  And those guys sell a _lot_, because
they're
some of the only robust, scalable, reliable software out there.

acs includes all the basic components to build a similar system,
and with openacs we get postgresql, a great database.  the
intranet modules, customer relationship module, contacts,
bookmark sharing, file sharing, etc. all can be refined to provide
a package that meets all the needs of non-profits.  if they have
tech people, then all they need is a download.  if they don't have
an tech infrastructure, there are plenty of acs consultants out
there that can help them.

so now that i've filled a good amount of space and thrown this
idea out there, i'm interested in:
• what you guys think
• how many people are interested in being involved in this
• what other ideas you guys might have

as i said, i'd be more than happy to host a development website
to non-profit acs programmers.  uh, lemme rephrase that.  acs
programmers that want to help non-profits.  and i'd be happy to
implement all the ideas that don and michael were throwing
around.  it could be a companion or a compliment to
openacs.org if that was best.

as a company, our long-term goal is to have a non-profit
organization be in charge of maintaining & improving the free
software, as is done with many open-source systems.  (for now,
to minimize accounting hassle, we're incorporating normally).

please email me directly or contribute to this thread!!!

talli
mailto:talli@panix.com

Collapse
As I said before, I'm interested. It might also be useful to invite non-technical consultants who work for non-profits and who understand what technologies like OpenACS can offer. Sometimes the service that non-profits really need is help figuring out whether technology is actually the solution to their immediate problems and how to work with their people to make sure that the technology solution gets properly designed and fully utilized. For example, I had a non-profit come to me about designing a whole slew of web-based training. Well, it turns out that the people they wanted to train spend most of their time in the field working with patients. Most of them don't the time to sit down in front of an hour-long course, and a few don't even have Internet access. What they really needed was a collaborative network (like the OpenACS Q&A) where the people could get online for a minute, ask a question about how to deal with a given crisis, and come back a little while later to find answers in their email inboxes.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Talli, funny you should mention expensive bloatware like donor tracking and the like.  You are exactly right.

When I left Portland Audubon, they were about to spend close to $30K on such software, hardware and training.  Long story involving in-house work that wasn't sufficient, a new executive director convinced he knew more about computer technology than me, a good salesperson, etc.  Bottom line was that the donor-tracking stuff's fine (though expensive) at a general level, but that all the stuff the various departments (education, wildlife rehab, conservation, programs /field trips/tours) were looking for never got done and probably never will.  Since the new database tools are closed-source and proprietary,  extending them in such ways isn't possible.

My proposal had been to do a system tailored to National Audubon chapters (of which there are hundreds), which we could then make available along with training, etc charging only for our actual expenses.  Seemed like a reasonable leadership role for the second largest chapter in the country to take.  But my proposal was met with blank stares, oh well.

But I've been playing with the idea of using OpenACS to take another run at the Society, because as you say it does provide the basic tools  that are needed...