Forum OpenACS Development: Extensions of categories package

Collapse
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
The following work needs to be done to categories (will fix soon). If you've stumbled upon any other things, please let me know:
  • Use listbuilder whenever possible
  • make admin interface scalable by using pagination (not sure how to do this since resorting via sortkeys is needed)
  • add parameter single/multiple mappings to tree-object
  • table and change widget accordingly
Currently i've got some new ideas on how to extend the functionality:
  • a) Let categories be linked with other categories (directed link) so whenever someone categorized an object in a category this object will also automatically categorized in all linked categories. By this we could manage having same or similar categories in the same tree or over multiple trees.
  • b) Admin interface to recategorize objects
  • c) Let admins attach a list of synonyms (multilingual) to categories and thus create a thesaurus. Let users enter search strings and return all matched categories through the synonyms. (example: a synonym for "Essen" - "food" could be "Lebensmittel" - "edibles" and a user searching for "Lebensmittel" would get the category "food" as a result since the synonym "Lebensmittel" for "food" matches the search string exactly)
Comments and further ideas are most welcome
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Timo,

I am going to be in need of linked categories pretty soon. Do you have an ideas on how to implement that?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Branimir and I are going to do some docs this week to make it easier to use what is currently implemented.  Please see https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-HEAD/categories/requirements.html for my current "state of categories" doc - and email me with corrections!
Collapse
Dave: I thought about adding a table to store the directed links and a second table to store the full closure of the directed graph (store for all categories the categories that automatically result from choosing them; start with self-references). When inserting a categorization for an object i'll join with this full-closure table and insert the result set.

Some questions remain: Should there be a way of turning off these linked categories? Probably for every object-tree mapping? Should we also give the option of just turning off linked categories in trees not mapped to an object? Or should there be a finegrained way of turning off some links?

Collapse
I added parameters of the category-tree map to let users do single/multiple categorizations and require categorization in a category tree. In addition to that I just added the functionality for category links. Any feedback on that?
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Re. list-builder and pagination: Get in touch. Listbuilder currently does support pagination, but it's using old crappy pagination, which requires getting all the row ID's, as opposed to using limit/offset in PG or rownum in Oracle. We need to fix this for 5.1.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Lars,
My paginator really needs to be integrated into your list builder.
I don't use the old querys needing rownums.
It is way faster than the old one and it actually sorts correctly.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Agreed. Any volunteers?
Collapse
I'm already working on linked categories and for some reason i thought about making the linking transitive. since i do have some trouble implementing the apropriate delete procs to get rid of circles in a directed graph, i want to raise the question if the transitive feature is really wanted or whether i should simply leave it as simple untransitive linkage?