Forum OpenACS Q&A: One (good) way to advocate AOLserver/OpenACS

Adding the snippet of code below to your tcl/ad-defs.tcl.preload will result in the nice footer you see here in all your ACS pages. Show your AOLserver/ACS pride !

I made the AOLserver and OpenACS buttons a little smaller. (#s added to allow the tags to show up in the web version of the bboard)

youremail@yourserver.com
AOLserver Logo  OpenACS Button
<#table width='100%' border=0>
<#tr>
<#td width='50%' valign=top align=left>
<#a href="mailto:$signatory"><#address>$signatory<#/address><#/a>
<#/td>
<#td width='50%' valign=top align=right>
<#a href='http://www.aolserver.com'><#img
src='/images/site-wide/aolserver-small.jpg' align=absmiddle
alt='AOLserver Logo' border=0><#/a>  <#a
href='http://www.openacs.org'><#img
src='/images/site-wide/openacs_button.jpg' align=absmiddle
alt='OpenACS Button' border=0><#/a>
<#/td>
<#/tr>
<#/table>
Of course you would also include height and width attributes in the img tag. :)
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Here is a GIF version of the AOL Server Logo, only 1k.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Yes, I was lazy not to include the width and height tags... shame on me... Here are the sizes:

AOLserver: 95x33

OpenACS: 80x47

I made a jpg because of patent issues (Unisys).

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Double quotes around the "mailto:$signatory" were killing my procedure. Should be single quotes.
Collapse
My bad... in my original paste the double quotes were escaped with a  and I didn't notice they got eaten up.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
And here's a nice postgres graphic:

It's a GIF, provided by the postgres folks, who obviously worry about Unisys just about as much as I do!

There's not any restrictions from Unisys on the use of GIFs.  If we have a random GIF file on our web page we're not beholden to Unisys to pay them 13 cents because of patent issues.  They're just extorting cash from the folks who make tools who make the GIFs.  Now if you're not wanting to use GIF out protest, then that's groovy.  (PNGs can be used to do lossless GIF-style graphics that may get mangled by jpeg)
Collapse
Thanks for the PG button Don. I wish someone with graphics talent would touch-up or make a new PG "Powered by" button. The current (though much better than nothing) is kind of too, err, slow? I mean there's not much "life" on it.

On the Unisys deal I think remebered reading Unisys going after large websites and makers of GIF tools, but I do prefer to stay away from them.

BTW, what do people think is the percentage of people that are using PNG-aware browsers these days? I love to use them but I am always afraid that many won't be able to see them.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oh, I kinda like their button myself.  The elephant seems to accurately reflect the ponderous pace with which the Central Committee  of the PostgreSoviet makes and implements decisions (like, "should we  do outer joins?" :)
I wonder if outer joins will make it into the next postgreSoviet five-year plan?  I've noticed some hedging on the postgres lists lately.  It's starting to sound like outer joins won't make it into pg 7.2 either.
Hi gang...I saw this thread and thought I'd contribute. Here are three new "powered by" buttons made from the source file, so they should be a little cleaner. I'm providing a .gif, .jpg and a .png so you can choose your poison. This image is best optimized as a .gif, that's obvious. I haven't heard anything about what Unisys is doing, but from the talk here, it sounds like when Compton's wanted money from anyone using the word "multimedia". I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Enjoy!

.gif - 957 bytes

.jpg - 2.14 kbytes

.png - 1.41 kbytes
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, we're drifting off-topic here (well, Dan and I are, anyway), but  it wouldn't hurt if Great Bridge were to start recieving a flood of e-mails screaming for outer joins, lamenting the fact that InterBase appears more and more attractive every day (doesn't hurt to exaggerate  slightly), etc etc.

They claim to know the importance of outer joins, based on survey work  they did.

I know Jan Wieck knows the importance, and he's working for Great Bridge, my guess is that he'll pick it up himself if no one else does.

Since we are off-topic already, let join Don and Dan:

The Great Bridge website (http://www.greatbridge.com/technologies/features.html) says :

Coming Soon
The following features are currently in development for 
PostgreSQL and will be available later this year: 

write-ahead logging (or "redo" logging), outer joins,
and longer data row support. These features will keep 
PostgreSQL ahead of the open source database pack, and 
strengthen its capabilities for mission critical deployment.
So they are the ones saying that Outer Joins are important for mission critical deployment 😊 Here's the e-mail to contact them: dave@greatbridge.com.
I received a reply form Ned Lilly (VP Hacker Relations - interesting title 😊), to whom Dave Mele forwarded my e-mail. He mentions Ben and Michael (from ArsDigita). Way to go Ben! Read on:
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Outer Joins
   Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:41:44 -0400
     To: Roberto Mello 
     CC: David Mele, Tom Lane
 References:  1

Hi Roberto,

Dave Mele forwarded me your message.

I can tell you that outer joins are a high priority for both the PostgreSQL
project and Great Bridge as a company.  As you may be aware, Tom Lane, one of the
core steering developers for the project, recently joined the team at Great
Bridge.  He will be the go-to guy for outer joins ... and the current plan is to
implement full support for outer joins concurrent with a major redesign of the
query tree structure.  That's a big one, and will likely take longer than anyone
would like before getting 7.1 out the door.

However, now that he's got more time to work on Postgres 😊, he's looking into a
short-term solution for 7.1 that won't be dependent on the query tree redesign.
Stay tuned to the mailing lists...

BTW, we had a conference call with Ben Adida and Michael Yoon of ArsDigita the
other day about a number of things that you guys had run into with your OpenACS
port.  Very productive - we'll be talking a bit more about some of the development
directions we'll be pursuing as a result of that call.

Thanks,

Ned Lilly
VP Hacker Relations
Great Bridge
The PostgreSQL site has some new images - I use this one on my host24.com site:
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If Tom Lane's working on an interim solution for outer joins, so they don't have to wait for the 7.2 query tree redesign, that's great.  I've looked into it myself, and getting the optmizer educated about them is the only really difficult part, at least for the Oracle-like syntax.  Tom's the only person who really seems to understand the optimizer, so he's the right person to look into them.

That new PG graphic's cute, I like it.

Does this mean we could have outer-joins before the acs 4.0 porting work begins?  That would be excellent.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
Is there any particular place in tcl/ad-defs.tcl.preload that I am supposed to put this snippet? It doesn't seem to have any effect at all. (yes, I took the #s out)

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Brian, you can try to apply the code between <#hr> and <#/body> in the return string at the end of the ad_footer procedure. Don't forget to restart the server.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
duh! Thanks a lot! I should have seen that. Works great now!

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Just an update on the outer join subthread buried here:  Tom Lane has officially announced that he's going to try to get outer joins into 7.1, which should start beta testing in October.
Cool ! Just in time for the ACS 4 port work to start. I really hope he makes it :)

That new PG logo is really cute indeed (see this thread).