Forum OpenACS Q&A: ERROR: cache lookup failed for opclass ...

I've installed PG 7.4.1 from the latest debian package from "unstable" and get the error message "ERROR: cache lookup failed for opclass ..." from PG now and again in all sorts of situations. For instance when I'm installing OpenACS and when I list the available databases with "psql -l". It doesn't happen every time but often enough to make me want to throw the computer out the window. It happened also when I downloaded the postgresql source package and rolled my own .deb file.

On the other hand, I haven't ever experienced this when compiling from source in the ordinary way and so I should probably just go back to that method, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and of course if someone knows what the problem is.

oacsdev@debian:~$ psql oacsdev
Welcome to psql 7.4.1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
       \q to quit

oacsdev=# SELECT version();
                                                     version                                                                                 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 20040110 (prerelease) (Debian)
(1 row)

oacsdev=# \d
ERROR:  cache lookup failed for opclass 1986
oacsdev=# \d
ERROR:  cache lookup failed for opclass 1986
oacsdev=# \d
No relations found.
oacsdev=#

(A google search didn't reveal much beside C code which doesn't say much to me, unfortunately.)

/Ola