Forum OpenACS Q&A: Unicode Error on Postgres

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
What did I miss when setting up postgres if I get an error like this in my error log (after uploading a file called "zusatzprüfung", mind the Umlaut):

=====

[08/Feb/2004:17:07:25][23572.163850][-sched:25-] Error: Ns_PgExec: result status: 7 message: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xc3

transaction error
[08/Feb/2004:17:07:25][23572.163850][-sched:25-] Error: Aborting transaction due to error:
Database operation "dml" failed (exception ERROR, "ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xc3
")

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xc3

SQL:
                    insert into index2
                        (lexem,tid,pos)
                        values
                        ('zusatzprÃ',4521,
                        '{17}')

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Two things to check - did you create the database -E UNICODE?  there's some simple psql command to check.  And, is the AOLserver running utf-8?  Dunno if the second one matters.
Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
psql -l from command prompt will ist all databases and their encodings
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
The database runs in UNICODE and the AOLserver has the OuputCharset as well as URLCharset set to utf-8.

This is only a problem with the file-names of uploaded files. Everything else works fine, all content is stored correctly and switching to arabic as the locale works fine as well.

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Maybe this is browser-related?  Can it be that form encoding is not correctly specified, resulting in translation?