Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN 2.0.1 released

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I tagged and am uploading .LRN 2.0.1. Issues:
  • It's 2.0.1 instead of 2.0.0 because there was already and dotlrn-2-0-0-final tag, which I decided to leave intact.
  • I verified that the tarball installed cleanly.
  • It includes OpenACS 5.0.3, which includes Andrew's acs-authentication patch. I assume but have not verified that it also includes the new message keys in .LRN packages.
  • If someone can verify the previous item - and ideally do so in the form of a bug assigned to the appropriate release (.LRN 2.0.0, I guess) with enough details that someone else could verify it if needed, then I can upgrade the translation server.
  • I haven't updated the repository or uploaded the OpenACS tarball yet; I'll do that in the morning.
Collapse
2: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Thanks, Joel!
Collapse
3: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Re: message keys, please see bug #1575.

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug%5fnumber=1575

Collapse
4: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Great work everybody!

Special thanks to:

Joel who has become one of the OpenACS titans (holding up the community like Atlas with his manic testing episodes, documentation push, and OpenACS release management), Tracy (who at very short notice jumped in and quickly got an overview and helped get .LRN out the door as the release manager), and  Andrew who spent at least two weeks on a show stopping bug and upgrade scripts (and also helped us test on the Heidelberg install).

Oh yes, and one other thing: thanks especially for putting up with my (probably) ineffective prodding per email and IM.

😊

Carl

Collapse
5: plans for .LRN 2.0.2 (response to 4)
I upgraded the translation server to .LRN 2.0.1 and OpenACS 5.0.3 this weekend. The two new strings are there and ready to be localized. (translation list)

Dirk Gomez identified and is fixing several critical bugs in .LRN 2.0.1:

So if the two German translations get completed rapidly, and the bugs are fixed, we can either release .LRN 2.0.2 this week or decide that some of the priority 2 bugs also need to get fixed, identify people to fix them, and set a target date.
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi,
I installed .LRN RC1 right before the release of 2.0.1. How can I upgrade? Our server is a production server!
Is there an description on how to move from rc1 to 2.0.1

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
8: Re: plans for .LRN 2.0.2 (response to 5)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I might want to get survey from /contrib into distribution. As this effects .LRN, I can either wait for 2.0.3 / 2.1 or do it this week. All criteria to be a package in distribution have been met, though not enough testing is done (I don't define: "Works for me" as enough testing).
Collapse
From https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-HEAD/upgrade-overview.html

There's an easy way on that page, if

* Your OpenACS Core is 5.0.0 or later
    * You do not keep your OpenACS site in a local CVS repository
    * You do not have any custom code

And if any of those is not true, there are many less easy ways on the following pages in the doc.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
That's true for OpenACS packages but what about dotLRN packages? Are they also recognized by the Installer?

At least non of them is offered as an upgrade.

Also how do I upgrade the language catalogs. They are also not recognized by the Installer.

I would like to use the tarball 2.0.1 but what do I do here? Do I simply extract it over my rc1 installation?

What happens if the datamodel changed?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
I forgot to update the package info for the dotlrn packages when I made 2.0.1, so the installer doesn't recognize that there's new stuff.  This will be corrected in 2.0.2, which is due this week.

"Also how do I upgrade the language catalogs. They are also not recognized by the Installer."

At the very end of https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-HEAD/upgrade-openacs.html:
'If you are using locales other than en_US, go to acs-lang/admin and "Import all Messages" to load the new translated messages. Your local translations, if any, will take precedence over imported translations.'

This will work for anything that got installed - ie, it will work for 5.0.3, but not for .LRN right now because of the problem with 2.0.1 detailed above.  The workaround for .LRN is to get the tarball.

"I would like to use the tarball 2.0.1 but what do I do here? Do I simply extract it over my rc1 installation?"
Yes.  If you have local custom work, it's more complicated.  But basically, you update the file system and then you run the Installer from the web page. Both scenarios are described here:
https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-HEAD/upgrade-openacs-files.html.  If you do "Upgrade from repository" then all of this happens automatically.

"What happens if the datamodel changed?"
If the data model changed between 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 (for example), the installer will run all necessary upgrade scripts.  If you have customized your data model, then that's pretty complicated.

Collapse
11: Re: plans for .LRN 2.0.2 (response to 5)
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
<blockquote> So if the two German translations get completed rapidly
</blockquote>

Done.

Collapse
12: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
My SQL upgrade script, required for 2.0.1, was improperly named as discussed here: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=166339.

I have verified that APM will not recognize it.  My apologies for any confusion this may cause.  I'm about to rename the file, so this should make it into 2.0.2.

If you've already committed to 2.0.1, please run the following script manually

packages/db/upgrade/upgrade-feb-20-2004.sql

Collapse
13: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
The file has been moved in CVS, on the dotlrn-2-0 branch, to

packages/dotlrn/sql/db/upgrade/upgrade-2.0a3-2.0.2.sql

I have verified that APM identifies the file and offers to run it.

Collapse
14: Re: plans for .LRN 2.0.2 (response to 5)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
All three bugs are fixed now. The calendar fix needs the regular testing, file-storage should be looked into more thoroughly because I haven't been exposed to the beautiful file-storage package since the golden ACS3 days.

Here's the diff: http://xarg.net/tools/cvs/change-set-details?key=98707BF70F8A79A17B8BEE1745BBF0FDAA99896F

The pages now all work, but the code was suspicious and so were my changes.

There is an i18n issue left which isn't easy at all to be fixed: namely that folder names can be localized. You have #fs-portlet.Projects# as a folder name and "Dirk's Secret MP3 Archive" which apparently isn't supposed to be translated into any other language.

I don't know if there is a quick fix. I think a proper fix would be a presentation column (a little bit along the lines what Branimir suggested a couple of weeks ago)

This column would hold a tcl proc that is applied automagically to the corresponding content and thus would magically localize #fs-portlet.Projects#.

Collapse
15: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
Posted by Ola Hansson on
The pages now all work, but the code was suspicious and so were my changes.
Yes, in fact your changes result in a loss of the relative linking support. I don't believe dropping this support is the desired way to go (even in the short term). Rather, I think we should address the issue with the internationalized "folder part" of the URL. If a message key is what needs to be in the folder name, then this key needs to be in the URL, too. Localizing the folder name when building the link to be presented will obviously cause failure because then it won't match the canonical folder name (the message key).

I believe Anupriya came up with a better (short term?) solution, see: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug_number=1511 ...

/Ola

Collapse
16: Re: .LRN 2.0.1 released (response to 1)
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
I am totally confused, because I do not even know how it SHOULD work: When should the name of, say, "Class X's Public Files" be localized to, say,  "Öffentlche Dateien von Kurs X" ? Is it when the server locale is German, or when the Class Admin who touches the folder first has German locale, or what?
Also, there are open bugs related to this:
https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug%5fnumber=1518
Collapse
17: Re: plans for .LRN 2.0.2 (response to 8)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Malte,

In light of our discussion as managing .LRN as a vertical application (or whatever name we choose) of OpenACS, I'd suggest that the question of "when is a given package a package" should be considered in the OpenACS community.  .LRN is obviously interested, but we want to manage things in a clear way. Would you be willing to bring the issue to that forum?