Forum OpenACS Q&A: Edit This Page Problems

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

Hi, I have an instance of edit this page on the home page set-up similar to the way the oacs site is. I created a subsite with the same set-up duplicating all steps. I then created a subdir under www and placed the index.vuh ln in there. So I have this: /www/foo/index.vuh.

The problem I'm having is that I get no Edit This Page link on the subsite main page and I get the subsite coming up as a subtopic under my /index page (main home page) edit this page edit UI.

How can I fix this so I can edit the main subsite page with ETP?

Thanks in advance for what is probably an elementary question. I appreciate any assistance 😊. I've tried several things including breaking down the subsite and reinstalling everything but no dice.

For reference, my current installation pretty much follows these instructions - TIA

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Please don't take this as gospel, but I belive that each time you add a subtopic with ETP, it creates a new instance of ETP as far as the site-map/request processor is concerned.

You can see this behaviour if you click the 'edit-parent-page' link on the top level etp index page (see https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=171458)
and add a subtopic to the site root - which incidentally I do not recommend you actually try because it will trash your site.

Even though by doing this you are adding ETP subtopics at a level ABOVE the installed ETP instance, these are still editable using the ETP admin links.

So I suspect that adding multiple instances of ETP replicates manually the situation that you can end up with by accident if not carefull.

Is there a reason why you are bothered? You can grant admin priviledges on a subtopic or on a page so everything will be editable by clicking a link at the bottom of every page anyway - as long as the logged-in user has permission.

Regards
RIchard

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

Richard, thanks for your response. I finally got things going, but not without some difficulty. Finally tore everything down again and after being very careful of the order I implemented the various pieces in, it all came together. I'm on 4.6.3 and will soon be switching over to 5. Maybe even 5.1. I think I'm a couple of versions behind on ETP.

It is a neat package, but one which I have not really looked at much beyond simply using it. I had already trashed my site a couple of times using the "edit-parent-page" link when I was first setting everything up. I'm testing everything out on my dev server and so far so good - no problems. I really did not want to go this route, but the page in question will be edited often, and required a web interface to do so. ETP is a quick solution for the moment.

Once again, thanks for your help. 😊