Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New OpenACS RPM's (testing needed..)

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
Going to download later today.

As to providing help, I can and will answer any questions about the RPM packaging itself -- it _is_ an arcane art.

I have been very busy working on cross-distribution PostgreSQL RPM's lately, along with my full-time day job as a broadcast engineer, so I have not had the time to look at the OpenACS RPM situation much at all.  In fact, I haven't had time to look at OpenACS at all in three or four months.  January should be a little better.

And, of course, PostgreSQL 7.1 is in the beta cycle right now, which adds a little more load to my plate.... 😊  Not that I'm complaining, by any means -- I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew by overextending my time.

But I'll answer any questions I can, as well as helping work on  the cross-distribution aspects of this -- there are substantial things that have to be done to make an RPM with any complexity work on more than one distribution (or even more than one version of a distribution -- such as RedHat 6.2 versus RedHat 7.0).  Oh, and I'm not even talking about the _binary_ packages -- I'm talking about the source packages, although a certain amount of binary compatibility can be found, as the typical RedHat installation includes backwards compatible libraries.

In particular, SuSE and RedHat have very different ideas of where startup scripts are to live.

So, off I go to work on PG 7.1 RPMs....