Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Help Needed in Setting up .LRN to Scale

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Janine, your AOLserver threadtimeout of 120 s is much too low. You do have maxthreads set the same as minthreads (which in this case is probably good), but I don't remember whether that means the threadtimeout setting is ignored our not. Best to be safe and set threadtimeout to something much higher...

maxconnections, maxthreads, and minthreads all set to 5 also seems low, but if this is just for the Dev server and you plan to bump those up for Production then that's probably ok for now.

The 2.2 or 2.9 s seconds shown above for the login page is mostly meaningless, as the time is all in adp_parse_ad_conn_file, which is normal on the very first hit of that page for the thread. The real question is how often does hitting that page give you the slow 2 s adp_parse_ad_conn_file time? Overall, it should be a very low percentage of times.

Normally, after you restart the server, it should run adp_parse_ad_conn_file once per page per thread, only, and then never again. But if your AOLserver is constantly creating and destroying new threads (because it's misconfigured), then adp_parse_ad_conn_file could be sucking up lots and lots of time - much more than just the 2 s per hit you saw on the login page, some pages can take 10 or 20 s or more, especially with slow Sparc CPUs.

That's all AOLserver Tuning 101 of course, but it is an easy mistake to make. From painful experience, I am very suspicious of your 120 s threadtimeout. I suspect that all 5 of your AOLserver threads are being killed and restarted every two minutes, which is an absolute performance killer - you really want to be sure you've ruled that out.