Forum OpenACS Development: Re: RFC: Separate code and data directories by default in 5.2

I don't necessarily want logs in the same place as data since generally on a prod site I like them to be written to a seperate device from where the content repository data is, but otherwise I agree its a good idea to isolate the instance specific data from the codebase.

Another pet peeve is the existence of the directories in cvs. I hate seeing:

? content-repository-content-files/10
? content-repository-content-files/11
? content-repository-content-files/99
? log/error.log
? log/error.log.000
etc.
when I do a cvs update.

I don't see how you could enforce #3 without a serious overhall of the code though.

It would be good if it were possible to have the code on a read only partition which argues against having the data directory in the same place as the code.

I like having the content repository and the webserver tmp dir on the same partition so that uploads are just renames (and for the anal that partition could be noexec).

Jeff

A .cvsignore file is your friend. Just pop one of these little beauties into the root of your service dir and stick the following in it:

apm-workspace
    content-repository-content-files
    database-backup
    etc
    log
    .*

And cvs will ignore those directories (and files starting '.')

If the directories are already known to CVS you may have to make it forget first - probably removing the CVS directories would do it.

Steve