Forum .LRN Q&A: Collecting users' feedback and opinion on usability issues

Dear all,

AIESEC International [www.aiesec.org] will be working on usability issues for it's AIESEConnect system [www.aiesec.net/alumni] for alumni of the organization. We will have staff for this as well as virtual teams supporting usability studies. Online surveys for users of www.aiesec.net [recent alumni] could be arranged as early as later in June. Face-to-face interviews are to be conducted with alumni from different generations [from 60-ties to most recent ones] in diffferent European countries in autumn 2004.

It provides a unique chance to integrate some of the needs of this community into planned research. What would be appreciated:

1. Please, raise here your concerns on what questions would you want to ask users?
2. We would appreciate any help, esp. professional, in drafting surveys and/or interview sheets and/or opinion polls.
3. Any suggestions regarding methodology of conducting usability audit are more than welcome.

Please, mail to mailto:volodja@ai.aiesec.org if you do not feel like posting.

Hope to see your replies.

With best wishes,

Dear Volodja:  Thanks so much for this post!  What sort of qualitative stuff are you thinking of doing?  Do you have people trained in sociological or anthropological observation?  I'd be especially interested in a social ecology of Dotlrn usage: how people come to integrate it into their daily lives.  For instance, I've got a couple of teachers who are now jazzed about putting a couple of study questions online the day before class.  I think of it in dramatic terms whereby instead of this big hit of one class meeting a week, they are now orchestrating a prelude the day before and beginning the class with reference to this prelude (ok, I need a better metaphor, but you get the idea).  I sometimes think of how the forums extend the seminar beyond the 90-minute period, how the intensity of that face-to-face is extended by the reminders the forum can provide.  I think the science is sociology, or?
All the best,

Bruce

AIESEC International is currently looking for professional support (contract based) in creating a survey targeted at users of OACS and .LRN based systems. If you know companies or individual consultants who can help in designing a questionnaire(s), please approach me at volodja-at-vorobey-dot-net.

Alternatively, we are open for any suggestions regarding issues/questions the community is interested to ask users of .LRN-based systems. Thank you, Bruce, for contributing, will be definitely incorporated.

If you are running .LRN installation, and would like to make this [future] questionaire available for your users, do approach me.

We will appreciate help from Usability Board [? sorry if wrong] on the issue.

With best wishes,
Volodja

Dear Volodja: Great news that you've gotten this far! Since I am new to the usability business most of what I know is from the books I'm reading as fast as I can to figure out what the professionals do when they do usability studies, and this week I am reading The Elements of the User Experience, by Jesse James Garrett, where one finds a powerful, multi-levelled modelling for the design of user studies, including elements of strategy, scope, structure, skeleton, and surface, and where he outlines how to analyze each individually and in combination and explains why he thinks user studies require such sophistication. To answer your question of what might help the Dotlrn community, I would answer: that you develop a study that demonstrates why such (there are other approaches of equal power, and his website refers to a number of them) approaches are recommendable and that your case study return this insight to the community in accessible form. To do this I think you might want to employ a consulting firm that has at least one foot in the Dotlrn community, and I suspect Al Essa would be able to recommend one or a number of firms who he has worked with successfully. During the past couple of weeks I've been studying Kathleen Gilrow's Otter Group and her blog, where you will find evidence of expertise in the design not only of learning activities, but of creating online community. I don't know any of these people personally, but a recent brief report by one of her colleagues, Designing Collaborative E-Learning For Results, by Glen Mohr and Julia M. Nault, suggests considerable precision in execution, depth of experience, and a formula for online learning success. The building of alumni communities is different, of course, than an online course, but I would think her group would look first at the many different ways alumni presently relate to your organization, how they might, and having built a strategy to deliver desirable outcomes would then start building a research protocol into your platform from there. The additional advantage of using a firm such as Gilroy's that is already familiar with the Dotlrn community is that they would be familiar with our technology and interests, know some in the community, and so might be in for helping us over the long term, ie, become a sorta "in house" research outfit for Dotlrn over the long term. In sum: hire someone with a sophisticted approach and someone who is going to stay close to us, that's my advice. I hope you find it helpful! All the best, Bruce
Off topic a bit:

I graduated with a Masters degree in Human Computer Interaction. That said, after reading 'The Lunatics are Running the Asylum', I recognized a lot of mistakes I had made while designing software these last few years. I think it's a must read book for those designing software. Thanks, Lars, for recommending the book.

Those interested in usability issues might be interested to check http://www.usabilitynet.org/home.htm UsabilityNet is a project funded by the European Union to provide resources and networking for usability practitioners, managers and EU projects. They have some very good resources and listing of professional companies working with the issue.

Bruce, though I did not reply earlier, but we certainly took into consideration your suggestions. We are currently moving with the project (see above). More news will follow in a due course.

Cheers,
Volodja