Forum .LRN Q&A: The next stable .LRN release

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
We've had lots of talk about talking a step back from the feature quests and focusing on a nice and stable release that people can count on. Obviously this will take a focused effort and a lot of teamwork. Obviously, we all have to do our share. How can we make this happen?

One of the things that we thought of is to have one of the partner schools upgrade to a .LRN release candidate... This would be a big committment, but it would also put a lot of intent and focus on making that release stable.

At Sloan, we've been looking at upgrading for a while. For us, this is a fairly big effort as we do have some differences from the core that we want to minimize. We also have a fair amount of content and many places of the school highly dependent on SloanSpace day to day.

We finally decided that this summer is the window to do this. We sat down this morning and went through a project plan and a ready to go.

I'll share that plan for feedback next post.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
The project plan is here.

People can participate by:

• Giving comments on the project plan.
  • Putting your bugs and issues in the bug tracker (Dee and I are going to start prioritizing).
  • Volunteer for one or more of the positions on the chart (there are both testing positions and developer positions).
  • Volunteering to run a bug bash.
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
The release will be made off the openacs-5-1 branch.

To get the code from CVS, do the following:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-1 acs-core

mv openacs-4 dotlrn

cd dotlrn/packages

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-1 dotlrn-all

mv dotlrn/install.xml ..
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello,

can we have the dotlrn-prereq again?

I tried to install dotlrn-2-0-3-final under oacs-5-1 but there's not clear way to do that,

If you do -r dotlrn-2-0-3-final dotlrn-all on top of a oacs-5-1 /packages directory
you get just dotlrn and related applets / portlets, but not the actual packages like forums, etc ...

Am I missing something ...??
Joel...?

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Rocael,

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.  To get the code that will become the next version of .LRN, I posted the instructions above.

To get .LRN 2.0.3, it is in the tarball.

Are you trying to do something that either?

We had a conversation and I thought you were going to upgrade to the next version of .LRN, so I'm confused why you are not following my instuctions above.

Collapse
I just tried an installation like you explain there, but its broken to create classes ... so I was wondering if I can still run dotrln 2.0.3 under oacs-5-1 ... but not success yet ...
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
The 2.0.3 under oacs-5-1 has never been tested to my knowledge.

In fact, the instructions I put up above for the oacs-5-1 branch is probably pretty close to the 2.0.3/oacs-5-1 combination since adding oacs-5-1 accounts for most of the changes.

I'd say the best bet is to fix the oacs-5-1 branch so we are that much closer to a stable release with the oacs-5-1 fixes.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Also, reminder.  If you find things on the oacs-5-1 branch, please be sure to add a bug to the bug tracker.  We are actively prioritizing and fixing things.
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Rocael,

Jarrko and I fixed the add a class problem on oacs-5-1 branch.

Collapse
excellent, then I'll test it more ...
Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi!

We want work together with MIT (Tracy Adams and your team) for next stable release in september.

<blockquote>>our plan is:
</blockquote>

1 week 26 - 30 July:
  -requeriments and testing --> Pedro Garcia and Dario Roig
  -bux-fixing              --> Sergio Cubero

2 week 2 - 6 August:
  -requeriments and testing --> Dario Roig

3 week 16 - 20 August:
  -requeriments and testing --> Agustin Lopez

4 week 23 - 27 August:
  -requeriments and testing --> Agustin Lopez

5 week 30,31 August and 1-3 September
  -requeriments and testing --> Agustin Lopez and Dario Roig
  -Translate in http://translate.openacs.org
  (Spanish and  catalan)  --> Laia

6 week 6 - 10 September
  -Install .LRN 2.1
  -Translate in http://translate.openacs.org
  (Spanish and  catalan)  --> Laia

-Perfomance testing in postgres 7.4.2
    users:40.000 studens + 200 professors
    groups:1.000 classes and 2.000 Subgroups
    -Architecture:
    1 computer with Database:
      HW: Opteron Dual AMD with 4 GB RAM
      SW: linux and postgres 7.4.2
    2 computer with webserver (http://pizarra1.uv.es):
      HW: Pentium IV with 1 GB RAM
      SW: linux and Aolserver 4.0
    3 computer with webserver (http://pizarra2.uv.es):
      HW: Pentium IV with 1 GB RAM
      SW: linux and Aolserver 4.0
    (balance charge CISCO in http://pizarra.uv.es)

Thanks to people of e-lane and the Uned, Malte Sussdorff (OCT) and Tracy Adams (MIT) to help us in our objective.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Hi Dario,

We'd love to work with you.

Here is what is happenning with the release.

Rocael is rolling it out at Galileo (postgres).  He has a small install to do some testing and is then planning on migrating from ACS 3.4.

At Sloan, we currently have reached the point where we
a) put all our fixes into the .LRN that were appropriate to .LRN
b) merged the Sloan code base with the core .LRN and are testing that
c) have a hit list of bugs we are fixing

In mid-August, we'll be upgrading to a release candidate of .LRN 2.1.

Then we will continue with more bug fixing and customizations and do .LRN 2.1.1, ect.  for a few months after that.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Tracy,

I am now available for some testing and bug fixing. Where can I get a quick update on where help is needed? Are your CVS instructions still valid? Shall I look at the open bugs in the bug tracker?

Greetings,
Nima