Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS hardware failure

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The server on which openacs.org resides has had a hardware failure and we have moved the server to a new machine. Unfortunately the latest dump was about a day old, so we have lost messages posted saturday.

CVS has been recovered and no commits were lost but user accounts need to be recreated so currently it is not possible to commit.

If you find problems with the server please post (or if posting is the problem mail oct at openacs.org or drop by irc and let us know).

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Fast work. Thanks to everybody!
Collapse
Posted by Michael Bluett on
Is the IRC logger still working okay (I can't see any posts for today or yesterday)?
Collapse
Posted by Michael Bluett on
Also, intriguingly (but not the end of the world), I am getting accented A's after the word "Chapter" and the chapter numbers on the documentation pages, including this example (I'm using Mozilla 1.4 on Mandrake 9.2).
Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Ditto. Mozilla 1.4.1 on Fedora FC1.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
IRC Logger is working now thanks to Bart. The answer was in the documentation (to the irc-logger package) all along!

I'll look into the character encoding issues. It is most likely due to the fact that openacs.org is running on AOLserver 4 now.

Collapse
Posted by Dion Sweat on
I'm getting:

Request Error
The server has encountered an internal server error. The error has been logged and will be investigated by our system programmers.

AOLserver/4.0 on http://openacs.org

When trying to seach.

https://openacs.org/search/search?q=search+for+something&x=0&y=0

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Dion Sweat, you probably already know this.

For anyone needing search and at a loss of what to do,

google.com can be used as an alternate. End your search phrase with " site:openacs.org"  (don't include the quotes).

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
Posted by russ m on
when "cvs up"ing in a checked out source tree I get this error -
cvs update: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
and no updates (altough with checkins disabled the "no updates" bit isn't such a surprise).

this is over pserver, so depending on permissions on the new box I guess it may not show up for people with accounts...

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
on "cvs up" i get a locking error as well.

cvs update: failed to create lock directory for `/cvsroot/openacs-4' (/cvsroot/openacs-4/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvsroot/openacs-4'
cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

This is using my login on angora.

Collapse
Posted by Gabriel Burca on
The time needs to be set on the new server. I posted a message  at about 11:35 (CST) and it shows up as being posted at 13:04.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I fixed the character enoding in the documentation.
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The download problem should be fixed. This was one of those bugs that showed up for OpenACS running on aolserver 4 (which was subsequently fixed but openacs.org runs old code).
Collapse
Posted by Mike Sisk on
Time is fixed -- ntp had not been configured on this machine.
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
cvs.openacs.org is back up.
Collapse
Posted by James Thornton on
Search appears to be broken.
Collapse
Posted by Gabriel Burca on
Viewing of tcl files is broken on cvs.openacs.org. adp and xql on the other hand work just fine.
Collapse
18: problem with CVS (response to 17)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I used the rsynced copy of the cvsroot since it had captured a days worth of commits more than the tarball backup; unfortunately it turns out that it was rsync without --delete which means files that were cvs removed and moved to the Attic are present in the original directory as well.

That means I need to figure out which files should be removed.

Until that is done, I suspect that any current checkout may manifest wierd problems. Also, I am not entirely sure I will be able to remove everything without any problems so be aware that the problem exists.

Also, you might refrain from cvs updating until I fix this.