Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 9

Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on

I installed Oracle 8.1.7 (and then the patch 8.1.7.4) on a repackaged distribution of RHEL 3.0.

The installation required very little fidling and some hacks that make me think that this way of installing it might not be a production-ready setup but at least it works for OpenACS 5.1 / Oracle 8i on development.

When you install RHEL 3, make sure you have all the compat-* RPMs installed. Before starting runInstaller, make sure you issue export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 and that you have the glibc-stubs patch from Oracle as well. I also did:

# cd /usr/bin
# mv gcc gcc32
# ln -s gcc296 gcc
before running the installer.

I get the makefile target errors but I ignore them. And the Net8 assistant for the listener also craps out ... killall jre was my friend at that stage but the netca produced all the necessary files.

I also had to copy in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, lsnrctl0 to lsnrctl, tnslsnr0 to tnslsnr and extproc0 to extproc . And then go to $ORACLE_HOME/ctx/bin/ and copy ctxhx0 to ctxhx.

After that, I could start my oracle DB and my listener as well.

Of course, all this assumes that you have modified the kernel parameters as recommended by Oracle, that you have access to a machine already running Oracle 8i just in case, so that you can get the proper working listener.ora and tnsnames.ora in case netca doesn't work for you.

At least this works fine for me ...

Just my 2 cents

Cheers