Forum OpenACS Q&A: Volunteer: Version alerts (aka. stay ahead of the pack)

New Versions of AOLserver and Postgres come out on a regular basis. Same is true for additional software like analog or openssl.

Sadly we do not reflect this in most of our documentation and we do not have a verification process that says, yes, this new version actually works with OpenACS.

Would it be possible for one or more members of the community to keep an eye on the new software releases and trying them out? Furthermore, if verified it works, this should be reflected in the documentation.

I'm more than willing to help out in teaching how this information should be added to the documentation, but I do not have the time to keep up with version alerts myself. Therefore it would be awesome if one or more volunteers would show up here and say: "yes, I'm going to do this".

I might be able to monitor AOLserver and Oracle new versions and validate their reflection on OpenACS..

I need a session on how to update the documentation though..

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I have tested with AOLServer 4.0.3 and 4.0.5, Tcl 8.4.3, 8.4.4, 8.4.5 and 8.4.6, Postgres 7.3.5 and 7.4.2 (but not tested with 7.3.6) and all work fine (in the sense that I can install from scratch, and create content without encountering any errors -- I did not test for concurrency problems or failure under load for example). I tend to upgrade whenever there is a new release to see that things work.

I don't run nsopenssl on the test servers though.

For reference the place in the docs we track this is the version compatibility matrix and the source document for that page is acs-core-docs/www/xml/install-guide/compatibility.xml