Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Request for advice from the OCT

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Hi Malte,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this a bit more clearer. It has been really good. We should have more of these discussion as it really helps us to put everyone in the same page.

<blockquote> No. This is not the case. The assessment knows on it's own
the sequence which to use for the assessment as an assessment
*internally* does not differentiate between items and sections
depending on external conditions.
</blockquote>

But then, is it possible to say that the sequencing of QTI has nothing to do with IMS SS? For instance, a sequence of activities can't reach (for lack of a better word) one single and individual question in an assessment? If no, then we might need to figure out what we can do as Simple Sequencing does not place any restrictions on what can be sequenced in such a tree. (http://www.imsglobal.org/simplesequencing/ssv1p0/imsss_bestv1p0.html#1500831)

More over, can an QTI assessment be sequenced using IMS SS?

<blockquote> My whole point is that there is a clear distinction between how
sequencing is done *internally* in a package and *externaly*. You are
  not going to make the SS package responsible for the sequence of
paragraphs in a document.
</blockquote>

That is true. However, that deals with the granularity of the activities defined in the sequence. It won't be able to sequence paragraphs as they are part of a learning object, which I believe they are the smallest units that can be part of an activitity, right?

However, I was under the assumption -by reading the specs- that it was possible to sequence individual questions as they are the smallest (atoms) of QTI that can be sequenced. But I'm not so sure any more 😊

<blockquote> Can you see this distinction and does it make sense to you ?
</blockquote>

Yes, I believe I do. Summarizing:

IMS SS = sequencing of activities (learning objects, entire assessments, etc)
IMS QTI (assessment) = internal sequence of questions given by the assessment creator before it was uploaded into the system

Right?

Ernie