Forum OpenACS Development: Response to ACS Roadmap from aD - worth a look for OpenACSers

Frankly Lars, it looks like aD needs to buy a CVS book and learn how to use it. Most of the things you are saying you are using Perforce for are perfectly doable with CVS. It looks like the "technical reasons" you mention are more brochure-related than anything else.

And the comment (and rationale) that "CVS is an excellent open-source SCM that works very well for relatively small, geographically close development teams i.e., teams of less than ten people who work in the same office" is, excuse me for the language, a load of crap.

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of projects in the world that are _exactly the opposite_ of what is in the above comment, and hence prove that is very wrong. Take Samba for example. The team is spread all over the globe, from Australia to the U.S. The PostgreSQL project has developers everywhere too, from the U.S to Japan. Unless my geography is really screwed up, and the world has been remapped, I don't think that classifies as "geographically close".

And I have never experienced such long times to update my copy of the repository. For me to sync the entire OpenACS tree with its over 7000 files it takes just a few seconds. Never minutes.

I have nothing against aD using Perforce or whatever it feels like. It's their business and they put their trust in the code they want. My comment here is related to the inaccurate, misleading comments about CVS. Use the tools you want, but be fare about other tools and the reasons for the switch.