Forum OpenACS Development: Re: update instead of falling on duplicate acs_objects

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I'm asking here first to know if this is a crazy idea or not.
It is crazy (at least crazy to think anyone who could do it would be interested in doing it).

The fact that nothing like it exists in SQL99 is indicative that it's unlikely that they will be interested. I don't dispute that it might be useful in some circumstances, it's just not going to be implemented.

They work OK when they are perfect but in case of any problem you can get a broken app.

Which is true of most computer things. The work to make the drop script work "perfectly" is a *lot* less than the work to make install scripts magically be able to install on top of a partial install.

What about not falling on "create index" (if there's and index do nothing) or "drop index" (if there's no index do nothing)?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

As for updating instead of failing on duplicate acs_object_types, I don;t think you could write something that did not run the risk of updating the wrong acs_object_type. I think I would prefer an error in this case.

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Pérez on
<blockquote> As for updating instead of failing on duplicate
acs_object_types, I don;t think you could write something that
did not run the risk of updating the wrong acs_object_type.
I think I would prefer an error in this case.
</blockquote>

Most system administrators (users) don't like errors. They prefer getting the package installed.
"updating the wrong acs_object_type" is an error anyway and I prefer getting the application working.