Forum .LRN Q&A: Description of new dotLRN integration project

Hi

we are working on developing a new Teaching Management System for The University of Sydney. This System aims to automate most if not all of the routine tasks of academics involved with teaching a Course.

* Each Academic after logging in, will see a list of Courses
that they are responsible. For each of these courses,
they will be able to edit the 'Course Outline', view past
versions of outlines, etc.

* Allow for communication between Academics of related
Courses (communities)

* and other similar academic related duties

Any suggestions and comments are welcome

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Surath Uthaya on
Relating to the project ...

Currently this is just one OpenACS package. Now we are trying to utilize the permissions system from the dotLRN model so that we can assign permissions for each Course and Academic.

For this integration, i need to change the Groups portlet(classes and communities). Any ideas how i could do that?

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Surath,

Do you have a detailed set of requirements/specs that you could share so that I can understand more of the details?

DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
DeeDee

Surath has the code and some preliminary documentation at:
http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/surath/

The project will build an "teaching design centric" application that makes the process of designing and managing a course, more efficient and more effective.  The system will improve unit management, facilitate collaborative unit design, build knowledge repositories of teaching strategies, automate what are now paper based administration tasks, and facilitate better communication between academics and tutors.
The project will produce software and documentation for a Knowledge Management system specifically designed for academic use. The main goals are to:
- Assist communication between academics and other teaching staff (i.e. tutors)
- Reduce administrative workload for teaching staff by increasing process efficiency
- Maintain a Unit of Study “history” that can form part of an institutional knowledge repository of teaching strategies used in each field of knowledge
- Elicit and document common administration tasks in the design and running of a Unit of Study and implement web based functionalities that automate these and improve the quality of their outcomes.
- Build the system in a way that can be easily customised for use by other institutions in Australia and worldwide.

Note that the project does not include any processing of students' data (i.e grades).

we have noticed that many institutions are already too commited to another LMS (i.e webct or blackboard) but would be interested in using the .LRN collaboration functionalities), so "dotTEACH" will be implemented assuming that the institution might be using an LMS different from .LRN (as is the ccase in Univ. Sydney).

We have applied for a grant that will allow us to build a full prototype and run a pilot in my Faculty.

I will try to write more documentation but I'm about to go overseas....

cheers

Rafael

Collapse
Note: "Unit of study" means "course" in aussie.

some more info:

The project will provide an innovative solution to issues faced by teaching staff during the design and management of units of study.  This solution comes in the form of software functionalities not available in any other university systems (student management, content management and course management systems).

The system will offer three sets of functionalities, all centred around the unit of study: 1) Student visualization in the form of dynamic concept maps produced automatically from Unit of Study Outlines, 2) Teaching functionalities to improve collaboration with colleagues and communication with tutors, 3) Management functionalities to improve administrative activities relating to quality assurance processes, professional development and budget reporting. The Faculty of Engineering is already funding the development of the first set of functionalities through a Teaching Improvement Fund. This project will focus on the next two as below.

Teaching functionalities
These will comprise a workflow-based system for Unit of Study (UoS) administration. The workflow could include a number of pre-built triggers that each institution could select based on their internal processes. The whole application would have a single data model centred on the UoS and designed to allow a relational database to use the information input by staff in a number of ways. In this way, instead of filling out many different administration forms at different times with repetitive information, an academic can enter information once, and it can be used automatically to speed up other processes and even be used for new and innovative outcomes not possible before, including:
1) Administration, publication and versioning. Academics will be able to write the UoS outline as they design the unit.
2) Unit ‘requirements’ and ‘recommended electives’ (normally included in a UoS outline) will be used to produce concept maps that help students better understand relationships between units.
3) Tracking of graduate attributes developed in a unit
4) Automatic timelines that prevent schedule overlaps and improve coordination between units
5) Efficient textbook requests. As soon as the academic publishes the list of books to be used, the library and local bookstore are informed.
6) Workflows for budgeting and approval of tutor time.

Additionally, collaboration functionalities will facilitate communities of practice around teaching areas and shared teaching journals.

Management functionalities
      Academic management roles (i.e. Head, Dean, Directors of Teaching and Learning or Undergraduate Studies) often face difficulties with 1) managing quality assurance processes, 2) professional development efforts, 3) budgetary planning and 4) communication with academics. This project is aimed at reducing the load of these efforts and improving the quality of outcomes. Specifically:
1) Quality assurance processes
- Managing student workload by making sure that the number of daily/weekly deadlines does not exceed some value.
- Managing graduate attributes by guaranteeing that each course satisfies the minimum required by its professional association (i.e. Engineers Australia) and documenting teaching strategies that prove successful to teach those attributes.
- Students’ evaluations are extremely important to quality and the tool would provide simple analysis, results graphing and record-keeping.
2) Professional development
- Processing of scholarship index and DEST reporting
- Recording of publications and other T&L contributions useful to the teaching community
3) Budgetary
- Tutor allocation and management
- Academic allocation and loading. This feature could allow for the analysis of how a new management strategy affects loadings on “presentation”, “design”, “tutoring”, “marking” and other teaching activities
4) Communication
The .LRN system to be used is already a very mature collaboration tool. Collaboration features would allow a better communication of policies and requirements and more importantly improve conviviality within the institution.

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Rafael,

Thank you for all this information.  This sounds like a great project.  I look forward to seeing it in the "flesh"!

DeeDee

Collapse
Do you mean having a demo?
The code is available, and it already does quite a few things

Rafael

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Hi Rafael! The stuff you've listed is important, but basically admininistrative in nature, and by collaboration I think of students taking a more active role in initiating and contributing to their own learning, surveys and forums integrated into instruction on a weekly basis, and basically, an extension of classroom activities into the other six days of the week. These days, I'm obsessed with the very careful orchestration of learning activities communications-oriented e-learning designers, like Kathleen Gilroy and colleagues, are able to manage, or rather, choreograph, and I'm wondering how such complex models might be adapted to standard university classes. I'm concerned here not with the ambitious early adapters, but with those only minimally interested in the technology but who nonetheless might change what they do for the better. For example, I've got eight faculty now posting study questions on Dotlrn a couple days before class and beginning class by discussing these questions -- they tell me this was NEVER done before here, but with the Dotlrn calendar and file storage and a little encouragement, they see the utility of it. Increasing efficiencies of routine administrative tasts is certainly important, but I'd think the place to shoot for is the integration of Dotlrn in instruction and its embrace because it delivers the goods of improved learning. How might you do that?
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Rafael,
will this Teaching Management System extend dotLRN or be another OpenACS based application?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Hi

Bruce, I am not sure if I understand your point. It is true that the system at this stage is mostly administrative. As an academic I do not want yet another system that I need to learn and use, I want something that reduces my workload. So reducing administrative workload is the driver for academics. After atracting them to use the tool we expect they will be able to focus more in learning design and start using the collabroation tools to share those design & teaching experiences with other academics.
You will see that the main contribution so far is a very extensive datamodel for what we call "outline" taht in the US would be the course "syllabus".
It includes many things like "learning aims" and "outcomes" assessment, schedulle, textbooks, generic attributes, type of learning activities,.... basically all things that academics should comunicate to students for them to understand what the course is about.
It also displays a "concept map" between courses, linking the prerequisite courses so students can use it as planning tool that helps them understand which classess they should take in particular degree and why.

Nima, dotTeach is built on the dotLRN datamodel so it is integrated, in fact it is now a portlet that a teacher can add to the personal portal and will link to all the course administration pages for courses he administers or teaches in. I expect the DM will need to be extended to inlcude other roles such as Librarian (who are responisble for having books available, and eventually might be involved in maanging learning objects) and Administrators who need astatistics about course enrolments, $ costs, etc.  But it is important to note that it is "independent" meaning that you do not "need" to use .LRN as the default LMS. This is for us very important because the official LMS is webct and the university does not want to "confuse" academics on which system to use 😟.
The criteria is that on our installation there will be no information about students (i.e. grades, mames).

I'm about to get on the plane so I will not be able to reply to this thread for about 2 weeks, but I'm very keen in keeping this discussion alive, and get feedback on features that could/should be included.
Surath should will be able to provide more info.

cheers

Rafael