Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Anybody know anything about Bonsai?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
To that end, Sourceforge has all the features in place to support massive open source dev right now.
The key in putting together a sound software project doesn't lie so much in the simple tools like sourceforge (or the SDM) provide.

It lies in effective people management, scheduling, decomposition of the problem, etc.

Things are moving slower than people would like. Well...that would be every bit as true if we moved to sourceforge.

Get thee to the status page and tell me, please, how hosting at sourceforge would help Ben get the query dispatcher ready to go (nearly done) or Kapil get the query extractor done.

The delay isn't due to not having a canned website, it's due to not having specific pieces ready so we can turn folks loose. Ben's been ill. Kapil's been busy with stuff. Roberto's been busy with stuff. How would hosting at sourceforge increase Ben's productivity, crippled by a very severe cold? "cvs commit" isn't what's been holding him back - he can do that at openacs.org. "quit gacking my lungs on the floor" has been his problem. Sourceforge doesn't help there.

I don't mind impatience, and actually I must apologize for the fact that we didn't have the time or understanding to set the infrastructure in place *before* starting out. That was a mistake. I'm thinking that perhaps the month of April should've been spent putting infrastructure quietly in place, in order to avoid raising folks expectation that things were ready to move like lightning this month.

On the other hand, I had no idea that the pool of available helpers would be so large. We had three or four available for the original ACS->PG port. Many are here because of changes in aD, and you're all welcome, but gee ... we're still kinda rolling with the wave, here. Our little project resting on a glassy sea is starting to feel like a large number of people looking to us to lead them out of a hurricane.

I know folks are tired of my asking for patience, but ... unless someone else can organize it and run it full-time, you're going to be stuck with part-time (15-20 hours a week on my part) leadership. If someone out there has project experience and a budget that would let them run this project full-time with no distractions - hey, e-mail me!

That's life. If you want 60 hours a week leadership financial input would be more than welcome :) I'm kidding, but let's not forget the fact that most of us have other things to deal with than OpenACS and that this include Ben and I.