Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Problem

Collapse
3: Re: Problem (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Good points, Richard.

The tuning section is optional. I had to use much different numbers and different memory tuning format when installing on a freebsd with 256mb.

I plan to update some info here, including links to the postgres and various related os tuning pages which are helpful for tuning, since there are numerous environmental factors that make this somewhat unique. I have to get a local cvs setup first.

Collapse
4: Re: Problem (response to 3)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I have seen something like 8-15% of physical memory for shared buffers on the pgsql-performance list. As for sortmem, I think 2mb is probably too small unless you are running a really small site or are sharing the server with a lot of other aolserver instances. It's probably really hard to make a firm recommendation for sort_mem, but I would err on the side of making it a little to large and setting it lower if you see the server thrashing.

Keep in mind that what happens of you have queries that go over the sort_mem size they use an on disk sort (or use queru plans which do table scans rather than has joins for example) which can have a tremendous negative impact on performance as well.