Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to word prcessing in forms

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
To answer Don's question, I strongly suspect there is a need for *both* built-in WYSIWIG *and* integration with products like Dreamweaver. The value depends on the end user. If you have somebody who is a non-programmer but relatively comfortable with HTML, Dreamweaver is the way to go. But sometimes you have content producers for whom exposing even as much functionality as exists in Dreamweaver is a bad idea. They just want basic text formatting plus the ability to insert a picture or a video.

I would suggest a two-pronged approach. First, for the built-in WYSIWIG, I believe Mozilla allows an editor to be embedded in a web page. If I understand correctly that the client does not have to have Mozilla installed, then this would be perfect. It's worth looking into it. Failing that, a Java applet would be the way to go. Second, we should look at creating integration with a couple of choice applications. Dreamweaver would be my #1 choice, followed by Word as a distant second. I don't see a need to do any more than those two.